Advice on trip to Cairns in Jan 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hutchinson12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, My husband and I are going to Australlia for the first time in January and I need advise :) Part of our holiday is 8 days in Cairns. I have heard good things about Port Douglas so I am thinking of staying there for maybe 3 days in which we would like to dive. Would the best way to do this be on day boat trips? Which are the best dive sites near port Douglas? We then plan to go to the Whitsundays (not sure yet if we are going to drive or fly) which would give us 4 days there. I like the idea of a 3 day cruise with diving but there are so many out there I'm confused. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, also things/places to avoid.
Thank you!
Lisa

The road trip from Port Douglas to the Whitsundays is a long one but you should consider it. It will not limit your diving in the North, and you would be able to break the trip up with two dives on the SS Yongala, one of the most memorable dives on the GBR. Yongala Dive who are based just outside of Ayr have a lodge, so you can do most of the trip in one day, stay the night, have two dives in the morning, and then complete the rest of the trip in the afternoon.

Mattoau has a good point. Port Douglas is a small town with day boats. Best is probably Poseidon or Silversonic.

Cairns (about an hour south) is considered the Gateway to the Barrier Reef and its here you have the greatest selection. Day trips and over night trips. If you have the time then the trips that visit the Ribbon Reef areas like the Cod Hole are the best e.g. Mike Ball, Spirit of Freedom and Taka. Allow 4 or 5 days.

Again out of Cairns are over night boats which you can join daily. OceanQuest, Scubapro etc
. 1 or 2 night options.

The Yongala is one of the best wreck dives you can get and if you are heading down to the Whitsundays then look at the trip out of Ayr. Yongala Dive takes 12 pax out in a 40min trip. Out of Townsville its 3 hours one way. You will be closer to the Whitsundays here.

I just completed a similar trip. Dived the Brisbane, drove and snorkeled in the Whitsundays, drove to Ayre to dive the Yongala, drove to Cairns to get on Mike Ball's Spoilsport for what was a fabulous trip (one of the best and I have been on liveaboards in the PNW of US, Mexico, Cocos, and Galapagos). I was told by locals to be careful after diving the Yongala and driving directly to Cairns as there is a high pass through the hills (watch for altitude decompression they advised). Driving allows you to see the great open that is much of Queensland, but it does take a long time (with all that sugar cane I understand where Bundaberg sugar and rum come from). I was advised by people in Brisbane and Townsville, that if I was only going for one day, Port Douglas as a day trip was better than Cairns, but because there is so little in Port Douglas, and what there is tends to be pricey, that I should go with Poseidon and take advantage of the transfer provided for people from Cairns (about $20 dollars if memory serves). Whatever you do, it should be a great trip. I visited many of the dive shops in the CBD of Cairns and, as one who once worked in a dive shop, was very impressed wih each operation.

I did not end up going to Port Douglas as I had enough diving at that point. I did enjoy exploring the Cairns area and did so by public bus and shuttles. Stayed at a budget hotel in North Cairns, but could walk to everything (wasn't too hot yet). When not diving, exploring, or driving, I did discover the wonderful outdoor swimming pools that the communities have.

I am going back within two years. It took me 25 years to get to Oz, I regret waiting so long. I loved it, the diving is fabulous, the dive operations are professional and well run taking pains to make sure the customer gets a quality trip, and the people are great. Now if you could just do something about that pesky exchange rate ($1.07 USD to $1 AUD) before I get back...

Thank you, this is a great help. We have 7 full days to play with around cairns. Would you say it is worth us driving to Whitsunday's to spend around 3 days there? I definately want to go on Mike Ball's Spoilsport....this sounds fantastic.
I'm really struggling with how to split our time. How was the snorkelling at the Whitsunday's, did you do one of the 3 day cruises?

The snorkeling in Whitsundays was OK. We had to insist that we be given fins and they encourage people to use noodles without fins out of fear inexperienced folks will damage the reef. I found the snorkeling (only did one spot) to be OK, but nothing like you will find in Cairns, even if you go out on one of the high capacity boats I am told (but can't confirm).

I kind of concluded the whitsundays was more about sailing, seeing the great beaches, and visiting topside location rather than snorkeling. It seemed like all snorkeling is part of a package that includes topside activities. I did a seven day cruise on Mike Ball in order to get to Osprey reef in the coral sea. If I was going to travel from the great white north, I wanted the ultimate experience. For more information on whitsundays, check out Frasier Island amenities. I also found the lonely planet guide to be useful. We stayed in Arlie Beach, which seems to be the gateway to much of the Whitsundays.

If I only had 7 days, I would not drive to Whitsunday; I would not want to lose two days going to and from the location. I would go to one or the other. On my trip, Whitsunday was on the way to Cairns from Brisbane, so it made sense to stop. keep in mind i have only been in australia once, so my advice should be taken with the appropriate understanding that my experience is limited.

Hi Hutchinson12,
MikeBall is amazing - the front end of the trip is better than the back - ie. the first 4 day part - Osprey is a once in the lifetime trip... I am going again in May for a friend's 40th - it is just that good!
Cairns is very relaxing. I was just up there again over Christmas during their low season. I did a day trip on the SilverSonic - they picked me up at my hotel just before 7am and Cairns and dropped me back around 6pm. Huge day but enjoyable. Cause it won't compare with CodHole and Osprey.
There is lots to see and do in Cairns - but if you want to do a side trip - Palm Cove is where it is at these days if you want to get away for the day or longer. It is about halfway to Port Douglas and is like stepping back in time. all the tour operators will pick you up from there too. If you haven't arranged transfers from the airport yet to your hotel - I recommend and use these guys - family operation but always on time, always spotlessly clean and always professional. Coral Sea Coaches
Have a brilliant time.

Hi, My husband and I are going to Australlia for the first time in January and I need advise :) Part of our holiday is 8 days in Cairns. I have heard good things about Port Douglas so I am thinking of staying there for maybe 3 days in which we would like to dive. Would the best way to do this be on day boat trips? Which are the best dive sites near port Douglas? We then plan to go to the Whitsundays (not sure yet if we are going to drive or fly) which would give us 4 days there. I like the idea of a 3 day cruise with diving but there are so many out there I'm confused. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, also things/places to avoid.
Thank you!
Lisa

hutchinson12, I was in Cairns back in October, trip summary here - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/au...ef-cairns-oct-10-13-2011-some-words-pics.html - though if going again I think we would opt for the Mike Ball trip.

Enjoy & safe diving.

Last edited:
the Whitsundays is more about the area than the coral reef... i.e. the islands, beaches, the sand, the coral as a whole than just the coral/sealife.

i.e. the most ideal way to see the Whitsundays is to hire a yacht and sail around it for a few days. as for getting there, driving is an option, but if you like trains, there is a regional train that services the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom