Cairns Liveaboard Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony L

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was hoping for some feedback and advice from people who have either dived with either reef encounter or prodive Cairns on their 2 night 3 day liveaboard trip. Who would you recommend?

Hey everyone, I was hoping for some feedback and advice from people who have either dived with either reef encounter or prodive Cairns on their 2 night 3 day liveaboard trip. Who would you recommend?
I know it's not in your list but I highly recommend Spirit of Freedom, they're amazing!

My wife (a non-diver) and I went out with Reef Encounter twice (last in 2018, so a while ago). I have no comparison to other liveaboards, but the people were nice/competent, the GBR was awesome, food was good, boat comfortable and nice. So no complaints, but no comparisons.

I know it's not in your list but I highly recommend Spirit of Freedom, they're amazing!

We did one SoF trip, they were OK. The irritating part was that they won't let you into the water w/o them putting your fins on you. For us, such babysitting even by Australian standards was too much. Also, at shark feeding, one of the crew (a guy named Lorenzo) sat in front of everyone to shoot his video, making sure everyone will have Lorenzo and his bubbles in their videos and photo. I did not like this at all, because customers must be uber alles. The plus side was the fly over the coast in a small plane and the fact that you can book consecutive trips, so you can have an extended stay on the boat. We did not opt for this but some people did.

We did one SoF trip, they were OK. The irritating part was that they won't let you into the water w/o them putting your fins on you. For us, such babysitting even by Australian standards was too much. Also, at shark feeding, one of the crew (a guy named Lorenzo) sat in front of everyone to shoot his video, making sure everyone will have Lorenzo and his bubbles in their videos and photo. I did not like this at all, because customers must be uber alles. The plus side was the fly over the coast in a small plane and the fact that you can book consecutive trips, so you can have an extended stay on the boat. We did not opt for this but some people did.
I understand SOF is a good company and I probably would go with them but they don't depart on the day I want. So it's either reef encounter or prodive

Worked and dived many times on Reef Encounter. Because it stays out and has a smaller daily transfer vessel you can pretty much select kenght of trip.

Dive sites vary and suitable for all levels. Spacious boat and tidy cabins.

It's one of my faves and highly recommend.

I'm Cairns local so drop me a PM if you need more info. Link above gives more details on dive sites etc as well

Having been out on SoF, I'm a little surprised that the fin thing bothered you that much.

Was it that they wouldn't let you off the boat w/out fins, or that they wanted to put the fins on you? Lots of LOBs now help you gear up (incl. helping with fins) - the Arenui does this as well (one of the two nicest LOBs in Indonesia).

The video guy in front would have annoyed almost anyone. Having experienced this elsewhere I would have talked w/the cruise director immediately afterwards and asked for an immediate change in behaviour (would not have helped w/the particular shark dive). I've been on the SoF for one of their Minke whale trips - their videographer was never in the way.

Having been out on SoF, I'm a little surprised that the fin thing bothered you that much.

Was it that they wouldn't let you off the boat w/out fins, or that they wanted to put the fins on you? Lots of LOBs now help you gear up (incl. helping with fins) - the Arenui does this as well (one of the two nicest LOBs in Indonesia).

The video guy in front would have annoyed almost anyone. Having experienced this elsewhere I would have talked w/the cruise director immediately afterwards and asked for an immediate change in behaviour (would not have helped w/the particular shark dive). I've been on the SoF for one of their Minke whale trips - their videographer was never in the way.
I was also on the SOF last November and, as someone who has been on at least 10 other liveaboards, the "Fin" thing was a new experience for me as well. After a few dives I realized the logic behind it since it got us all into the water a LOT faster than if everyone had to put on their own at the bottom of the ladder -- which was a noticeable chokepoint prior to entry. Everyone managed their own gear before and after the dive otherwise. Clever! You learn something new every trip.

Quicker yes but safety is the main reason, either way I love it! :D

Back
Top Bottom