Advice re: Larger ships for scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FP is in the same time zone as Hawaii IIRC, so that part isn't too bad, especially for a west-coaster like me. However, the flight is over 8 hours just from LAX and that's painful wedged into the cramped seats in coach, I agree. I'm 6' 1" and my shoulders are a couple inches wider than the average coach seat allotment. We upgraded to biz class on the last trip, but it's not cheap and not possible using miles unless you have AA or NWA mileage plans (mine are with CO).

You'd love my next flight (next month): 18.5 hours nonstop to Bangkok, followed by 4.5 hours more to Bali after a 2-hour layover. I'm actually looking forward to the flight, but definitely not the jet lag.

I recall the cabins on the Nekton Pilot being larger than the typical liveaboard "yacht" like those in the Aggressor fleet. Still, if you're occupying the cabin by yourself, you'll probably be OK even in the smaller Aggressor-sized cabins. With all the diving and meals occupying most of your time aboard, you really just need a cabin for changing clothes, the bathroom and shower, and a (hopefully) comfortable bed to crash on after what is usually an exhausting day. Seriously. If you do all the dives offered on the trip, including the night dives, you'll be busy from 7 a.m. until 8 or 9 p.m., so you're better off picking a liveaboard based on the comforts of its dive deck, salon, and other common areas where you'll be spending most of your waking hours.

I can personally vouch for the Turks & Caicos Aggressor being a great boat: excellent food, excellent upkeep, and very comfortable (though it was probably more so since we only had 9 passengers aboard). The Nekton Pilot (Belize) was also a good trip, very spacious cabin and good food, though the boat wasn't in the same shape as the Aggressor and if we had had the full complement of divers aboard (32, instead the 18 we were blessed with), it likewise wouldn't have been so comfortable. I've also heard nothing but good things about the Cayman Aggressor, so long as you're OK with potentially missing out on the crossing to the sister islands, and if I decided to do another liveaboard trip in Belize, I'd probably try the Belize Aggressor (the Nekton doesn't do the Blue Hole).

The Aqua Cat sounds like a good boat to start with. In fact, after reviewing the website, I've added it onto my list of future boats to try.

While a larger cabin is certainly great to have, it's true it may not really be the issue you anticipate. My husband is 6-2 or 6-4 and he's never had an issue with a cabin. He tends to spend most surface time on the sundeck or lounge spaces (when not messing with his camera.)

...and I'm 6'3" and had no trouble sleeping on the Cayman Aggressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom