Advise - "Solid" Blade Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
ScubaBoard Tec Diving Experts,

I am looking for a decent “solid” blade fin…

As I examine my kit so I can take a GUE Fundamental course, I believe that my fins might be lacking. I normally dive with Atomic Splits (No-Go for GUE course) or Aqua Lung Hot-Shots or Sling Shots. While my instructor said that the Aqua Lung fins would work for the GUE Intro course since they are “solid” bladed fins, from what I have read on SB and other places, I think I would get more out of the course and a much better learning/divng experience with more “stiff” bladed fin.

From my readings I have narrowed my choices down to three fins:

1) Dive Rite Fins
Dive Rite Fin.jpg

2) Hollis F1 Fins
A. All Black
B. Yellow Tip

Hollis F1 Fin.jpgHollis F1 Yellow Tip Fin.jpg

3) Scuba Pro Jet Fins
Scuba Pro Jet Fin.jpg

What I would like to know from the SB Tec Experts are there any differences between the three makes that would be considered significant – an APPLES to ORGANCES characteristic(s)? Are there any older threads, that I might have missed, that does a decent evaluation between two or all three fins? Or am I seeking a bridge too far?

I know divers have their personal preferences as to why they buy dive gear; as do I, great prior customer service from a sales rep, brand loyalty, recommendation from a friend or peer (which is what I am seeking with this post) or even color (I like blues and blacks). And from most of the reviews I have read the decision maker on comparable equipment is generally personal preference driven. So while I would love to read evaluations, personal preferences might be all that is out there.

All of these fins are within my price range so that will not be a deciding factor. I normally dive in warm water, but likewise I will be expanding my experiences in more temperate waters in North America. So a dry or semi-dry suit will most likely be in my near future plans (that is another thread), but I am not against purchasing another set of fins when I actually purchase the exposure suit if required. I am also planning also to take Cave Diving courses, so those also have special requirements.

Thanks,

~Michael~

All solis fins and no one will point and laff at you in DIR school. One factor to consider is your trim. If you are foot heavy or light? The SP and F1 are heavy and good if you are foot light, the DR are a bit lighter. Also, I really like OMS slipstreams, very light, powerful and considerably cheaper. Really, all good choices.

The things that really discriminate:

One is weight, as you've already heard. Jets and F1s are negative, the DR's are positive or neutral. Dry suit divers generally like the negative fins; people diving warm water or doing a lot of travel tend to want lighter ones.

Second is foot pocket size. For me, the DRs solved a problem -- the Jet foot pocket that was small enough for my feet also came with an extremely short blade on the fin. I get more power with the DRs, because I get about 2" more blade. (At least I think that's why.) There is also a strange gap between the XL and XXL Jets, where the F1s seem to fit well, and also Turtles.

The last thing can be price -- what I paid for my DRs, which came with springs, was less than I would pay for a pair of Jets and and pair of springs. Somebody has written here that new Jets come with springs, and I have no idea what the price for that combination is.

For what it's worth, I have recent (as in yesterday) comparison between Jets and the DRs, and the DRs are stiffer.

With that particular secular movement you are about to embrace, I would suggest you ask your future instructor prior to purchase. If you are going to be diving drysuit, which is quite the norm in advanced diving, you will benefit from heavier fins.

I just purchased the new F2's. They are plenty stiff, and I found them just as good a fin as my jets.

A bit too light for diving in my dry suit, but perfect for travel, and other than weight, no real difference that I can detect. Also they come with the springs for a pretty decent price through dealers like ScubaToys, who list them for @ $130

There is also a strange gap between the XL and XXL Jets, where the F1s seem to fit well, and also Turtles.

The "old" Jet sizing scheme was odd, where it went from the XL, which was appropriate for an average foot in an average dive boot, to the XXL, which was appropriate for a Sasquatch in snowshoes. They have, since around summer of 2010, had a "new XXL", which slots right between the XL, and the old XXL, which is now "XXXL".

I think the sizing scheme is messed up, since they begin at "M", not "S", or even "XS". Right now, they could go from "XS-XL", which would cover the current five sizes, but without people thinking they have huge feet. I know I have smallish feet; size 8-9 depending on shoe company, and with the 5mm thick-soled Scubapro boots, I wear an XL, and a XXL with my Rockboots. When I switch to Turbosoles, I'll probably be able to get away with XL for wet and dry diving.

Somebody has written here that new Jets come with springs, and I have no idea what the price for that combination is.

We are SP dealers and I haven't seen this. Not saying it's not available, but we haven't seen it. Not in the catalog, not from our sales rep, and not in an official email. That said, we try and cut a deal on the straps/fin combo to get the customer into them. If they don't want it, cool, but most do.

Another thing to consider: do you like a stiffer fin or no? The OMS are stiffer than the SP Jets. I prefer the OMS, while others prefer a more flexible fin.

I had some Hollis F1, but I didn't keep them very long. I did like them but they were quite similar to my OMS and a bit less comfy so I sold them. This is also a personal preference.

I haven't tried the Dive Rite fins.

I dive dry and have not had the opportunity to dive the other brand fins. What I do know is the Jets work great for me. I like the shorter blades especially for caves/wreck. The shorter blades produces a lot of thrust however you need strong legs. If you are not very strong, longer blades will help overcome this IMO. I also like the flex in the Jets, it just works for me. Effortless thrust in a compact and durable fin with pin point precision. The springs straps is a must IMO. My brother uses his with the original rubber straps and seems content with it.

Thanks everyone...you have given me a little bit more to think about. I think what I will do is try several different ones on at the Denver Dive Show and again at the DEMA show.

I have a funny feeling before it all over I will own a pair of each. :D

Thanks everyone...you have given me a little bit more to think about. I think what I will do is try several different ones on at the Denver Dive Show and again at the DEMA show.

I have a funny feeling before it all over I will own a pair of each. :D

What you need to do is try them out on a dive; Not in the shop, not in the pool; on a dive. For it is only under real world conditions that you know for sure if you love or not those really cool fins you bought that felt so nice in the shop, or paddling in the pool.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom