Aeris Atmos 2, Suunto vyper, other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal

Contributor
Reaction score
About to get my first dive computer. Looking for a wrist (non AI) computer that operates with air and nitrox. Two that look good in moderate price range are the Aeris Atmos 2 and the Suunto Vyper. The vyper claims to have reduced gradient bubble model. Don't know whether the Aeris has something similar. Dose either or both adjust automatically for altitude? Any thoughts on these? Other recommendations?

Thanks,

Hal

I have the Atmos 2, console mounted, but looked at both.

The Atmos has a clear, easy to read display. If you're using nitrox you have to remember to reset the FIO2 before subsequent dives or else it defaults to 50% (not that I've done that...too many times:huh: ). User changeable batteries is a strong plus, and customer support was excellent when I had a software issue.

And yes, it does adjust automatically for altitude (needs 24 hours between different altitudes). Check the owners manual

Just my $0.02:)

Hal
The Oceanic Versa Pro and Atmos 2 are the same computer, just packaged differently. I used a buddies Versa Pro one weekend and loved it...really cool features, pretty intuitive, etc. Also have several buddies that have the Vyper. I really wanted a Versa Pro, but ended up with the Vyper simply because I got a better price on it. I REALLY like the features the Vyper offers and like the ease of operation with it.
I believe all the models you mentioned are adjustable for altitude, although maybe not automatically.
Bottom line, I dont think you can go wrong with either of the models you've mentioned.
Marty

I like my vyper.

A nice clear uncluttered display under water, supports nitrox up to 50%, full pre dive planning and simulation mode, 36hr (at 20 sec) memory with full replay, gauge mode, backlight and so on.

It also has altitude adjustment, personal adjustment factors and other things

The PC interface can be constructed for about $5usd.

If you're interested in seeing what the vyper looks like the Suunto site has a demo to download that takes you through most of its options.

I found it easy to use after a few minutes playing (1 mode button and 2 up/down selection buttons) and it has a user changable battery.

The only things it hasnt got is air integration and mid-dive gas switching - for that you want the Vytec (same features other tha those 2).

I have an atmos 2 that has worked very well for me-I have only used it for air - Not nitrox certed yet. Mine is console mounted but could easily be changed over to wrist mount. It is adjustable for altitude(automaticly i beleive)
Overall a great comp in MHO!

I considered all those computers as well and ended up going with the Sunnto. The Pelagics are a bit cheaper but I just felt better going with the Suunto. I dove them both on 10 or 12 dives each. Versa was a real consideration up to the end but lost out to the Vyper.

Hal once bubbled...
Two that look good in moderate price range are the Aeris Atmos 2 and the Suunto Vyper. The vyper claims to have reduced gradient bubble model. Don't know whether the Aeris has something similar. Dose either or both adjust automatically for altitude? Any thoughts on these? Other recommendations?
Both adjust for altitude automatically. Both are good computers.

There are some differences between them which might make one or the other better suited for your style of diving.

The Suunto computers emulate RGBM by adjusting internal constants of a Haldanian algorithm according to past dive history. Rapid ascents, reverse profile, repeated up and down yo-yo profiles are among the things the Suuntos will detect and will cause them to reduce the NDL limits for future dives up to 100 hours later. If you are an occasional diver and not really aware of your profile, this can be a great assist in ensuring your safety.

Atmos 2, like the many other computers made by the Oceanic subsidiary Pelagic Pressure Systems, is a rather straightforward N2 tracking system that simply monitors N2 loading using a Haldanian algorithm very similar to that of Suunto, but without the adjustments of the NDLs in response to diver misbehavior.

If you simply want the computer to do some detailed tracking and accounting of N2 levels then the Atmos 2 is better.

It also has a much, much better display of N2 levels. The N2 bargraph is a reflection of N2 loading as a percentage from sea level saturation up to NDL limit. In other words, the bargraph display is similar to a graphical display of your current "pressure group" of a table system.

This differs from the Suunto bargraph, which is simply a graphical display of NDL time. On a Suunto, even if you are heavily loaded, once you go shallow and NDL is a long time, the bargraph way into the green. On the Atmos the bargraph will properly display true N2 loading, and will slowly recede only as you offgas.

I'd just add that the larger numerals on the Oceanics are a great feature. Reading underwater, especially as you go deeper (and darker) is a lot harder than it is up here on dry land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom