Aeris Elite T3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My roommate and dive buddy just came back from Cozumel dive vacation while using the Aeris Epic which from what I understand is the wristwatch version of the Elite T3. I told him to keep an eye out for loss of pressure readings, loss of signals, etc. He claimed that he didn't have any problem with it at all.

I'm surprised that things go off the charts when the signal is lost. I get occassional signal lost but it just handles the situation.

Where is the issue, on the computer? Or in the download?

The one problem with my Elite is the signal from the transmitter being lost. I have never had it go off the charts.

The other problem is the upload to the lap top. Some of the dives do not show on the program. They are on my dive computer though. For instance, I could do four dives in one day and it will only show me dives 1, 3, and 4 on the program.

I think momentary signal loss with the transmitter is a common issue with most , if not all, wireless AI computers. My wifes Uwatec Galileo Sol and a friends Suunto also lose signal from time-to-time. When my VT3 loses signal, it's usually just for a second or two, and at the very most I just have to stick my wrist up closer to the transmitter to re-establish the link. I haven't experienced my VT3 randomly "going off of the chart." And I also haven't had any direct contact with someone who has had to thumb a dive because of transmitter failure. I've just heard the usual internet chatter. I have however experienced computer failure, so I do carry a back-up computer with me. And since diving is such an equipment dependent activity, and all equipment is capable of failure, I also carry a bunch of other back-up equipment in my save-a-dive.

All-in-all, it's been a good computer and I'm happy with it.

Loses pressure every now and then, randomly goes off the chart and the software is crap? I guess I am changing my question. Why would I spend $800 (on sale) on something like this. Are there better AI computers out there?

Scuba Do,

The answer is yes...and no. The T3 is a hoseless AI computer. As such, your first stage regulator is connected to the computer via a low power radio transmitter. There are a number of known factors that can affect all hoseless transmitters of this type.

The position of your arm can affect reception. The transmitter is directional. If you were to reach down to adjust a fin strap, you could lose reception for a second.

Use of flash cameras is a known error causing problem.

Keep in mind that the loss of signal is only momentary and does not have any affect on the safety features of the unit. Dive time, air use prediction, nitrogen uptake, preset dive maximums, etc. are all unaffected.

My personal experience with the T3 shows that over literally hundreds of samples taken in a single 40 minute dive (I have mine set to record data every 15 seconds), the most lost signals I have ever seen was 5.

On the other hand, I have one less hose coming out of my 1st stage, no console hanging, and everything I need on my wrist in a big, easy to read format.

The software that comes with the unit is pretty useless, but my wife has a Sherwood Wisdom, a hosed AI computer. It came with the same software.

The question really is do you want a hoseless AI computer? Only you can answer that one!

HJeffreyM - thanks. A well-reasoned reply and very helpful. I will have to think about the points you raise and make that decision. Scuba Do.

I started using the Elite T3 and had a number of issues (see my posts in the Aeris Manufacturers forum here on Scubaboard). I sent it to Aeris (through ScubaToys, where I purchased the computer) and am waiting for it to be returned.

I use and recommend Dive Manager. You still need to download to the Aeris Software, but Dive Manager allows you to import Aeris/Oceanic data.

Sorry - lost track of this thread for a bit.

I've never had a problem with the download - I've always had access to all dives on the DC and never failed to download new dives.

The lost signal issue is minor and if I wait a second or two after bringing my
arm up I've always gotten the pressure reading back. The issue with the depth being "lost"
when the signal was lost was resolved with the replacement wrist unit Aeris sent me. The
only thing this did was cause an annoying off the chart measurement visible in the dive profile
after download. Being set to a 15 sec sample rate may have increased the frequency of this
glitch appearing, but I've done over 20 dives on the replacement and haven't seen this again.

If I remember right, my turnaround from the day I shipped to the day I had my replacement was
just about 2 weeks.

I highly recommend this DC and would suggest anyone having an issue contact Aeris. While expensive (you can find them online for around 7 or 8 most of the time), I can't imagine needing
anything more in a DC unless I wind up taking Tech Diving. It's very configurable, will store up to 3 different tank/gas mixes per dive, never have to "fumble around" to find my gauges (I have enough stuff hanging off my BC). I'm not saying no other DC is better, and I'm not the world's most experienced diver, but I'm very happy with this computer.

I went and bought the Elite T3. Thus far with only ten dives, I haven't suffered any performance problem concerning loss of signals or otherwise. I don't download my dive records onto the PC, so I don't know if there's any downloading issue.

Back
Top Bottom