Aeris Manta - Stuck in gauge mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Doug - Thanks for responding. You accurately described the methodology for changing modes on the watch and it is pretty easy to do. But when you search the internet, you also find all kinds of post of people like us in the middle of a trip trying to figure out how to get watch out of lock mode, so I would respectfully disagree with your assessment of "actually more unlikely." I didn't understand why me new girlfriend (300+ dives) made a nasty face when I told her I had a four button water/gauge - she said use only single button devices - the voice of experience speaks :) Cheers, Kevin.

Thanks Doug. You really should identify yourself as an Aeris rep when you respond to a post in a professional capacity. The issue of inadvertently popping into gauge mode seems common for Aeris computers. A search on SCUBAboard results in multiple posts about the same issue with different Aeris models. It seems that once the computer is either wet or submerged (not sure which), the 24 hour lockout begins. I knew the sequence of button presses to get out of gauge mode, but it does not work when the computer is wet. I'm assuming the 24 hour lockout actually means 24 hours dry. I had tables so continued to dive in gauge mode for the remainder of my trip and remained in gauge mode for several days. I easily switched back into normal mode today, after several days dry.

An AERIS rep, me, responded to your post - in the event that you haven't contacted tech support:

The procedure for switching operating modes (NORM/GAUGE/FREE) is not unlike most other settings. So while it is clear that it is possible to inadvertently modify this setting - from my point of view, it is no different, actually more unlikely, than accidentally changing your nitrox mix or turning off your audible alarms. While in Dive Mode SURFACE MAIN, the M button must be depressed for 2 seconds... your current operating mode setting will be flashing (default: NORM). Depressing the A button cycles through options, S for less than two seconds makes a selection. The selected mode is then displayed on the main dive mode display.

Again, if following this procedure (after 24 hours if a dive is conducted in Gauge) is unsuccessful, there is indeed something wrong with the unit that requires tech support or service.

There a lot of individuals who have sig lines with professional affiliations to diving. I don't think the title, "marketing manager" for a company that is NOT Aeris makes it a "little hint" that the person is an authorized representative to speak for the company. The Aeris company website directs people to SCUBAboard's forum with concerns. I had a critical problem with an Aeris product while diving outside the US. It turns out I had a problem that is very common and has adversely impacted multiple people at critical times (i.e. locking them in gauge mode in the middle of multiple days of diving with many dives/day). I get a response from an individual three days later who basically writes, "call customer support." If I ran my company like that, I don't think I'd be able to take too many dive vacations.

I think his sig line and the title of Manufacturer would be a little hint.

Doug Krause

Marketing Manager

AMERICAN UNDERWATER PRODUCTS
OCEANIC | AERIS | HOLLIS | LAVACORE | OCEANPRO

2002 Davis St., San Leandro, California 94577, USA
(800) 435-3483
dkrause@AmericanUnderWaterProducts.com

It was clear to me, Doug was representing Aries and he does deserve kudos for including contact information - that's great for providing the distributor/manufacturer with feedback to improve products, but it would appear to me the forums themselves provide sufficient feedback for product improvement and issue identification. Personally, I was disappointed in his response; we all have the manual and/or can download the manual. The issue which was not addressed was lockout and in my add-on, the battery issue and customer service. This is unfortunate, as the product is 80% to being a fantastic product, but you have to back it up with good service (battery issue is known defect - Aeris should be proactive - my life does not wholly depend on it, but it does impact my safety) and not cripple it's functionality for legal protection of the company. For example provide directions online for overriding the lockout, require watch serial number and clicking that you accept responsibility for overiding the safety feature and then display directions. Cheers, Kevin.

Aeris uses this forum as part of its customer service model. If this were simply an informational forum, I would have expected less so wouldn't have been disappointed. When you go to the Aeris website for assistance, there is a link to this forum. If the answer provided, three days after my post, had been more substantive I would have been less concerned about the messenger. I think I didn't perceive the post as being from an authorized representative because there seemed to be no authority in the response. I basically contacted customer service for assistance, and the recommendation was to contact customer service or read the manual.:idk:

Back
Top Bottom