Aeris Regulators - HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWBBound

New
Reaction score
I am new to scuba, but loving it! Need assistance with a regulator:

Been looking at the Aeris AT400 Ion, Pro and Sport. Seems to be a good reg at a good price.
Last year's models, new, without the Dry Valve Tech are listed for about half of what the new 2012 models are.
* Is it worth another $250 or more for the DVT?
**Is the Ion that much better than the Pro or Sport? It's only about a $70 difference between the Ion and Sport with the Pro being right between (last year's model)

I appreciate any advise.

I think your confused with the swivel option. The swivel is where the price difference is. You can buy a third party swivel for less than $20. Having a DVT is definetly worth it. I added a third party swivel and a miflex hose and love my ION.

I see the Ion at 2 places. One says it is the new 2012, the other... Is one worth it over the other?
Aeris AT 400 ION DVT Regulator
Aeris AT 400 Ion Swivel Scuba Regulator with Dry Valve Technology 30.0480.07 with reviews at scuba.com

Very similar with the Pro
Aeris AT400 Pro Scuba Regulator with Dry Valve Technology for 2012 30.0450 with reviews at scuba.com
Aeris AT 400 Pro Regulator

Didn't know if it was a marketing ploy. Are these good regulators?

Thanks,

* Is it worth another $250 or more for the DVT?

No. All as this does is seal the first stage when you rinse it. If you are careful when rinsing and use the dust cap correctly then it does nothing. It is a gimmick. Save your money for something else.

Do not get the DVT thingy, it's a bad idea. It puts a restriction EXACTLY where you don't want it, between the reg and the tank valve. Basically there's a little ball on a spring that gets pushed open by air pressure. What most people don't realize is that the pressure in the HP chamber of the regulator equalizes with tank pressure, meaning that ball is closed even when the reg is pressurized. Its only when you take a breath, which lowers pressure in the reg, that the ball moves and air can flow into the reg. Really dumb idea. It also makes inspecting the regulator filter much more difficult, and that's important if you ever rent tanks. One wet or dirty fill and your filter will show it.....unless of course there's a little ball blocking your view of the filter.

Plus, it doesn't even really seal the 1st stage, so if you forget to put your dust cap on and soak the reg, you're still likely to get a little water in the HP chamber, and a little is too much. Soooooo.....it's one of those many 'solutions in search of a problem' that the dive gear industry seems to think we absolutely need to enjoy diving.

Can't say I've any use for a swivel, DVT or super bendy hoses..........keep it simple.

......is a 'super bendy' hose considered complex ?
No, but do your research. Some people dislike the miflex hoses especially the high pressure one. I have heard some good reports on the phantom hoses. Some people mix and match normal and the flex ones depending on the application.

As a former reg tech for an Aeris dealer, I can confidently make two statements about the Ion/Pro regs. First, the AT400 is a damn fine first stage. I don't like DVT technology because the huge majority of them make an objectionable hissing noise when you breathe on them. I've had several customers ask me to remove the DVT, which I've done to their satisfaction. It can be done safely, so that's not a problem.

Secondly, and much more importantly, it seems that the poppet springs on both the Pro and the Ion second stages have a problem with weakness. Aeris is aware of this and has supposedly addressed this problem by strengthening the spring. The symptom: an uncontrolled free-flow that can only be stopped by closing the tank valve. I've had this happen on my bench with five or six different Ions and one or two Pros. They both use the same spring. The fix for all of them has been to replace the spring. When adjusting many, many Pros, I've had problems getting the right balance between cracking pressure, poppet sealing, and demand lever rattle. Seems if you adjust the orifice enough to make a good seal, the cracking pressure is higher than recommended in the service manual and/or the demand lever rattles when you shake the second stage, which is contrary to service manual guidance. Again, replacing the spring fixed this problem about 98% of the time. The uncontrolled free-flow seems to be more of a problem in the Ion than in the Pro, but still it can be the problem.

My advice if considering an Ion or a Pro: Make damn sure it has a "new" spring in it and try to get it to go into uncontrolled free-flow before you dive with it. I was able to get it to go uncontrolled by turning the adjustment knob fully counterclockwise and putting the venturi adjuster in the minimum setting. Depress the purge button and see what happens. With the knob fully CCW, don't be surprised to hear a slight hissing leak--that's normal for a properly-adjusted second stage. That leak should stop when you turn the knob CW no more than 1-1/2 turns. The last place you want to be if you get an uncontrolled free-flow is under water, so make sure your reg won't do that before you dive.

Good luck!

As a former reg tech for an Aeris dealer, I can confidently make two statements about the Ion/Pro regs. First, the AT400 is a damn fine first stage. I don't like DVT technology because the huge majority of them make an objectionable hissing noise when you breathe on them. I've had several customers ask me to remove the DVT, which I've done to their satisfaction. It can be done safely, so that's not a problem.

Secondly, and much more importantly, it seems that the poppet springs on both the Pro and the Ion second stages have a problem with weakness. Aeris is aware of this and has supposedly addressed this problem by strengthening the spring. The symptom: an uncontrolled free-flow that can only be stopped by closing the tank valve. I've had this happen on my bench with five or six different Ions and one or two Pros. They both use the same spring. The fix for all of them has been to replace the spring. When adjusting many, many Pros, I've had problems getting the right balance between cracking pressure, poppet sealing, and demand lever rattle. Seems if you adjust the orifice enough to make a good seal, the cracking pressure is higher than recommended in the service manual and/or the demand lever rattles when you shake the second stage, which is contrary to service manual guidance. Again, replacing the spring fixed this problem about 98% of the time. The uncontrolled free-flow seems to be more of a problem in the Ion than in the Pro, but still it can be the problem.

My advice if considering an Ion or a Pro: Make damn sure it has a "new" spring in it and try to get it to go into uncontrolled free-flow before you dive with it. I was able to get it to go uncontrolled by turning the adjustment knob fully counterclockwise and putting the venturi adjuster in the minimum setting. Depress the purge button and see what happens. With the knob fully CCW, don't be surprised to hear a slight hissing leak--that's normal for a properly-adjusted second stage. That leak should stop when you turn the knob CW no more than 1-1/2 turns. The last place you want to be if you get an uncontrolled free-flow is under water, so make sure your reg won't do that before you dive.

Good luck!

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who has had to learn to deal with possessed Aeris/Oceanic Balanced 2nd stages. Not only has their design plagued technicians with difficulties, its proprietary so unless you get a tech with a lot of experience with them, they will never be right. While I can't make a specific suggestion all I'll say is consider other balanced second stages with a better proven track record, there are no shortages of them, before making a final decision.

Back
Top Bottom