Aeris Software and a Mac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Kristen:

There are some significant, yet not impossible hurdles to overcome for either open code or a Mac version of the software. We're listening -

I have owned my Aeris XR2 since 2007, before I had an intel mac. I purchased the computer because of the feature rich unit and value for money. When you compare price point against other units it was a good buy.

Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis has never supported operations on a Mac, PC only. There have been no third party solutions for this brand over the last several years.

When Mac went to Intel chips that solved some of the problem, you can indeed load Bootcamp and install Windows in that partition which runs just fine. Or you can use the VM Fusion/Parallels with Windows and it should work. This whole process is unnecessary, the advantage which you gain by purchasing these units, price point, features; you lose when you have to add additional software. So my next dive computer will be one that is supported natively, like the Suuntos.

After some 8-10 years some companies have found the resources, time and effort to write code for both platforms. Great units if you don't mind supplementing with additional software for Mac..........Dave

Well I tried the Macdive dive log program with my Aeris XR2, it worked very well on my mac running OSX 10.6.8. You can find it online and download a trial. some things don't work until you pay for the full version, $25. You must also go to their website and download the USB driver, install and restart. Follow the directions to first sync your DC. choose prefs>advanced>Serial>Scan it should find a dev file i.e., /dev/tty.usbserial-20030001. Use the drop down menu in the tool bar across the top of the window (*) to insert new everything, divers, gear, certs. Once the icon is visible double click it and fill in the info. When you download your dives, highlight the dive and press the info button in the tool bar across the top. You can add details and photos, locales, buddies, dive masters, operators and also have several log books. they have a list of all the DC that this program works with on a mac.

......Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis has never supported operations on a Mac, PC only. There have been no third party solutions for this brand over the last several years. ......
Soon you will have an additional solution :wink:

divepal_mac_aeris_a300ai.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

And this is why I will never buy another Aeris product again. When I look on their site, they never say it's not Mac compatible and searching FAQs and the entire site, the term "compatible" and "Mac" never appear? Bull****, they erased it. Even in their forums. They know what they are doing, they would gladly trick a consumer into buying a product they are not compatible with just to make a buck. When another company steps up to provide the support a company should have provided in the first place... and makes money doing it, while the original company ignores it, you know they are worthless.

Doug, I understand that the coding for PC vs Mac is very different. I worked for Divers Supply for the last 5 years, who has one of the largest accounts with Aeris/Oceanic and NEVER once heard about this until I purchased one myself. Might I suggest that you more clearly label that it is only PC compatible. This day in age most people figure that they can always download it for a MAC, not having that available is very disappointing for such a large company and large name in scuba mfg.

Suunto has the same arrogant approach as Aeris - sure Apple is what, a rarity, one-off, fad...

I've used a paid version of MacDive for nearly two years - I have recently discovered an open source dive log, Subsurface, with PC, Mac and Linux versions - the story goes it was originated by Linus Torvalds (wrote the original Linux) - anyway, while Subsurface is still young it already looks and feels like a solid and well-thought-out piece of work, includes various import formats and supports a whack of computers...without forcing the user to first interpret arcane technical software jargon and then perform code-related magic tricks for it to be truly compatible with your computer - i upgraded MD two weeks ago and still don't have the stomach to go back into the program to delete all of the duplicates the update created...that's when I went looking for an alternative and found Subsurface...

We will have a dedicated Mac solution in the very near future. Pelagic, our sister company and manufacturer of our instruments has a product in beta now. If you're interested, shoot me a PM; give me an idea of your interest level and background if applicable.

Wrote Doug Krause an email with specific details and requests and got a quick response from him. Just waiting on a response from the development team.
Thanks for the quick response Doug!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom