Age 10 Seems Too Young for Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mom wouldnt even let me go to the mall alone until 16 :wink:
I guess my question would be how prepared is a 10 year old to accept risk? Is their lack of fear good or bad? Are they truly prepared for making the decision to begin a hobby that you may not come back up from?
But in that respect its probably no worse than any other dangerous youth sport like football, cheerleading, skateboarding. The inuries Ive seen in those, yikes!

No one is saying we are certifying 10 year old's to go diving alone. :idk:

If you are going to go so far to the injury prone youth "sport" extreme as that for a comparison, I will go in other directions. What about ... "kid seats" on mom or dad's bicycle? ...taking your 10 year old on the back of your motorcycle, in the city? ...taking your 10 year old on their first "black diamond?" :coffee:

halemanō;5623230:
No one is saying we are certifying 10 year old's to go diving alone. :idk:

If you are going to go so far to the injury prone youth "sport" extreme as that for a comparison, I will go in other directions. What about ... "kid seats" on mom or dad's bicycle? ...taking your 10 year old on the back of your motorcycle, in the city? ...taking your 10 year old on their first "black diamond?" :coffee:

I didnt mean diving alone either. Just commenting on the level of trust I was given at that age. Sorry for the confusion.
Not sure what you meant with the rest. I was pointing out that there are dangers in a lot of other standard youth activites. And it looks like you were agreeing?

I know that my opinion regarding this topic is not very popular and particularly the certifying agencies will not be happy with it. But anyway - it is my honest opinion, based on my experience of more than 25 years as a diver and more than 20 years as an instructor.

Of course, scuba diving is fun. The agencies tell it to us everyday and most of us experienced a lot of fun themselves while doing it. But nevertheless, we never should forget, that scuba diving means to enter an environment which is potentially hostile to life. We only can survive there by using technical equipment und by adhering to some physical rules. And every mistake we do may end up fatal.

The physical problems for children have been mentioned before in this thread, so I don’t want to repeat them.
One big problem with them is that there is simply too little information. And that will remain for a long time, because – of course – we can’t use children as laboratory rabbits to get some database on these effects.

But there are some other points which should be taken into consideration.
One point is, I mentioned it above, that we have to know and to understand some physical laws for to survive underwater. And my experience is that it is very hard for children below the age of 13/14 to understand this physics and physiology stuff really, because it simply is too far beyond what they know from school at that time.
The second important point is that children don’t react as rational as adults. They tend to fear much earlier and to fear of things which never would be a problem for an adult. And because of that tendency to fear earlier and faster, they also tend to panic much faster. And this is a really big problem, because we all know, that a diver in panic is trying to reach the surface as fast as possible. And we also know that the shallow waters (down to 10m) are the most dangerous area with regard to a rush to the surface, because in that area the air volume in the lungs will double, if we are not exhaling, and so in that area we have the highest risk for a lung overexpansion injury

When I started scuba diving in 1984 it was common sense within the agencies, that the minimum age for scuba diving was 14 years. Later on they gave up this common sense and we came to the point where we are today. In the very beginning of this process, I saw this as a great chance as well and I tried teaching children myself. But with time I found out that this was not a good idea and that the agencies promote it just for to get new customers and more certifications. So with time I decided for myself not to accept student divers below somewhere between 13 and 14 years.
Meanwhile I am happy to live in Turkey, because Turkish law prohibits scuba diving with children below the age of 14. And this law prevents me from a lot of discussions.;-)

My recommendation is, if they are really comfortable in the water, have them skin diving and snorkelling until they reach the age of 13/14 years and than they are perfectly prepared for scuba diving.

I disagree, the physics comprehension required for a child who will dive with a parent are pretty simple: Don't hold your breath, don't come up too fast (or faster than dad), don't dive for deeper or longer than your dad does and watch your air and make sure you let dad know when you hit 1000 psi... Other than that, they need to learn to balance their bouyancy. None of this is too difficult, for a highly motivated and bright child.

As for children necessarily being more fearful than adults? I don't agree with that. How many mothers of 6-th graders will hang upside down from their knees from the monkey bars? The mothers are probably scared and many kids think nothing of it. If anything, I think young kids will tend to exhibit too little fear.

It does take a special kid to dive very young and it requires an experienced parent to supervise, but some of your assumptions, just don't apply universally. Again, I think 13 is a more reasonable age.

It is my considered opinion that one's dive buddy should be capable of handling ANY emergency situation that might occur, that includes the management of a body that may weigh 2 to 3 times that of the rescuing diver.

There is an adage by which I live . . . it comes from my days of flying helicopters in Viet Nam.

Please forgive me if I seem arrogant, but the greatest accolade that I will bestow on any person for any reason is, "I will fly with (him/her)".

When it all comes down to the fact that you will or will not meet the grim reaper, will you trust that decision upon your dive buddy, regardless of age.

But, once again, I think age is of a necessary factor in that assessment.

the K

It is my considered opinion that one's dive buddy should be capable of handling ANY emergency situation that might occur, that includes the management of a body that may weigh 2 to 3 times that of the rescuing diver.

There is an adage by which I live . . . it comes from my days of flying helicopters in Viet Nam.

Please forgive me if I seem arrogant, but the greatest accolade that I will bestow on any person for any reason is, "I will fly with (him/her)".

When it all comes down to the fact that you will or will not meet the grim reaper, will you trust that decision upon your dive buddy, regardless of age.

But, once again, I think age is of a necessary factor in that assessment.

the K
Is it then your considered opinion that no one should dive unsupervised until after they've taken a Rescue class?

FWIW - I weigh 240 ... and I guarantee you that even with my experience and skills I wouldn't be able to manage a body 2 to 3 times my weight ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FWIW - I weigh 240 ... and I guarantee you that even with my experience and skills I wouldn't be able to manage a body 2 to 3 times my weight ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Somebody 2 - 3 times your weight shouldn't be diving to begin with. They will have other issues to deal with before they think of diving.

I didnt mean diving alone either. Just commenting on the level of trust I was given at that age. Sorry for the confusion.
Not sure what you meant with the rest. I was pointing out that there are dangers in a lot of other standard youth activites. And it looks like you were agreeing?

If you were just commenting on the level of trust you were given at age of 10; what activities did your parents allow you to do with them at age 10?

Since you were pointing out dangerous standard youth activities; today football and cheer leading "require" parental permission and adult supervision, usually in conjunction with the kid's school, but the parent does not "play" with them. Isn't that pretty different from allowing your kid to learn to dive and then taking them diving with you?

My growth spurt started after 11th grade, so my parents would have only signed my football eligibility for Senior year. In Jr High I was one of the stars of the Lightweight football team. I rebelled during High School by playing no pads, pick up football in the city park with my Varsity Football classmates (after they finished practice), even after "we" put the starting quarterback out for his Jr season by breaking his collarbone. Even though that activity requires "permission" and "coaches" I came home bloody most days during football season, after permission was refused.

How many parents are able to really give permission (or not) with regards to skateboarding? Good parents manage to keep their kids in pads and helmets, the best probably join them on occasion, but many 10 year old kids without permission will skateboard, without pads and helmets.

How many parents allow their 10 year old kids to ski or snowboard without adult supervision? Without taking a class?

Would your parents have allowed you to go to the swimming pool with friends at age 10? :idk:

Anybody know anything about aseptic bone necrosis and the epiphyseal plate?

I know that I made ~15 dives per summer from age 7 to 14 and now at age 51 I have passed every physical in my life with extreme athlete results; traumatic impact arthritis in joints that underwent traumatic impact, some limited mobility in a couple of those traumatic impacted joints, but otherwise still healthier than most of today's 30 year old's. :idk:

Here's an 8 year old showing her stuff:
YouTube - 8 year old Girl scuba diving in the Red Sea with sharks

Think I'll adopt and go for the Guinness World Record. If I start with a kid at 2 (lifting weights, hitting the treadmill, studying dive tables, basic physics, panic avoidance, wizzing in wetsuit: covered), I bet I could have him/her physically and mentally prepared for diving at 5! Al80? Hah! Just use a pony bottle! I have deep-sea fishing weights that'll substitute for a weight belt. Since there won't be any BCD's small enough, I'll rig up a hot water bottle. Better yet, go with the current trend of egg implantation and have 2 kids - Insta-Buddy!! Hmmm. Is there even an age that is NOT permissible? Depends on maturity level? Maybe that 2 year old that smokes - he's obviously mature. Smoke rings!! Or JonBennet Ramsey. Certainly looked very mature. Wait, that bodybuilding kid Richard Sandrak (google him, pressing 180 lbs at 6 yrs old), he had it all, physical fitness, the maturity and discipline required to achieve physical perfection. His Dad was SO proud. He'd have no problem hauling my narc-ed butt up from a 130' wreck dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom