age discrimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Older divers that have been diving since they were your age have seen the cycle a couple times through. They have learned the "pressing questioins" that are being discussed by new divers really aren't, and the "preferred" gear style discussions have gone around a couple times as well. They just don't have he interest level in those topics to keep up their end of the conversation. They have also learned that taking a person's "problem" away from them by solving it based on their past experience generally wins more animosity than gratitude.

I've found that if the younger divers want to learn from the broader experience of their elders, they'll either watch or ask. I rarely "butt in" on a boat unless the youngsters actions endanger ME. I'm always willing to help those who want to learn though.

FT

it's just that with 21 WHOLE years of living accomplished, he's a become a highly accomplished diver and brilliant conversationalist.

My friends and I would be honored to have him carry our gear tho...we'd let him go with us, but I'm betting he doesn't have the necessary training or skills.

I'd like to hear his contributions to our post-dive chat, too...he probably has keen insights to decompression theory, mixed gas diving, international dive travel, film, sports, current events, etc etc...

We'd try hard to not look bad in front of him.

Obviously, buddies must be adults. No kids.

#1 is fitness. I won't dive with people who are morbidly obese, or are too weak to deal with their rig. If you can't don and doff your rig by yourself, or can't get back into the boat by yourself, I'll pass.

#2 - No hunters. If you want to hunt, buddy with someone else.

That's it. I can pretty much screen out anything else in the buddy talk. But these two are deal breakers. Age isn't an issue.

K

...When he keeps his mouth shut. I make it a point to hang around with the broadest number of divers I can. Then I keep my mouth shut and listen to what they have to say. You really can learn alot when you just listen. Usually this means the older crowd talking but I have learned a great deal from younger divers too. The trick is knowing when to listen.
As a rule I usually do not get along well with people my age. I am 23, married a 29 year old (love her to death) and most of my friends are in the 25-35 range. Maturity however cannot be determined from age alone. During my OW class the two sterotypical middle aged, tell-you-want-you-want-to-hear-to-make-the-sell, marketing types caused the most problems. I have found that just listening to people talk can tell you much.
Would it not be nice if all the more experienced divers made a point of mentoring younger (read:inexperienced) divers. Hey there is a idea for a new forum. The mentoring forum:D

Jambi

great replies, I agree with what matters most is ability. nothing against newbie divers (we've all been there), it's just I don't like to get held back. and when your body looks like he's about to pass out, that could be a bad thing (think of the paperwork!)

maturity is another, if my life ever depended on it (knock on wood) I wouldn't want somebody that would laugh at the mucus coming from my nose.

and I do get this less in diving, diving is really social and I get to meet so many cool people. but it's sadly seen everywhere in life. like in my work (I work in tv) when I show up to a set the older folk expect me to be their coffee deliverer or something, than I tell them I'm associate director and I get that funny "oh" look on their face heh. and then I make THEM get ME coffee hehe just kidding. much like this project I'm working on for this weekend. but yeah in diving it's a far less problem, diving is so social one of the highlights of it if you ask me. but of course there are those few bad apples, like the immature ones in my group.

I try to look for the same things in the people I dive with as in the musicians I play with: more proficiency\knowledge\experience than me. That's how I improve my skills.
The trick is not to be a drag on them.

love to dive and all of the people that i meet.young,old male &female.just hope they feel the same. if their talking about kid rock or medicare, it doesn't matter.the social engagement is all good. safety is the key.:eek:utahere:

A diver's age is not a topic that usually comes up in a pre-dive or surface interval conversation. Age is usually the last thing I think about when speaking to another diver. But, there have been times I have refused to be paired up with certain divers because of their apparent lack of maturity.

Divers I have and will continue to refuse to dive with:
1) adrenaline junkies,
2) idiots with inflated egos,
3) anyone that can't wait until they complete their last dive before having a beer,
4) anyone that feels DFG rules don't apply to them,
5) divers that aren't honest about their diving abilities and comfort level,
6) anyone that cries anytime during a trip.

I don't mind going out on a limb to save someone in trouble... I've done it a few times. But, I'm not comfortable with the idea of having to unnecessarily risk injury or death to bail out someone that isn't willing or is unable to exercise common sense to stay out of trouble. Know what I mean?

I am 16, someone around me did not believe the I can do the diving,how can I talk to that men?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom