age discrimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Discrimination is hereditary. Get used to it because it's all around. Everyone is too old, too young, too white, too black, too male (?), too female (?), too tall, too short, too fat, too thin, too Muslim, too Christian, too homosexual, too heterosexual, for the next person.

FYI, my son learned to dive at 13. When he went on only his second trip at 15, he impressed the heck out of some 30-something DM's that we were diving with. He also pissed off some 50-somethings by pointing out all the mistakes that they were making (despite their 500+ dives). I'm also a DM and have seen good and bad divers in all age groups, races, sexes, etc.

T'ain't your age that that's the problem. Heredity is discriminatory. Dive well and ignore what other people think (unless you can sift through the BS for the good stuff)

Snowbear:
Discrimination is learned.
Young children don't discriminate until they are taught (usually by their parents) what to discriminate against.
actually, I was saying the same thing as you - just being too clever for my own good. Of course it's taught. And usually it does come from the parents at a very early age. And I bet the parents don't even know they are passing it on. Sounds like (FIGURATIVELY) heredity to me.

Zippsy:
He also pissed off some 50-somethings by pointing out all the mistakes that they were making (despite their 500+ dives).

I have found over the years that it's easy to piss people off by pointing out their mistakes unsolicited. As someone who's coached or instructed a few different types of recreational activity I learned that the best way to approach people is to ask if they mind some advice on how to improve what they're doing. It's less an approach of telling them they're doing it wrong and more of one of telling them they can do it better. Most folks of any age will be receptive to advice if it's given in a positive, friendly manner. Also, by asking first you're leaving it up to them to decide whether or not they want your advice.

That's less about discrimination than simple diplomacy. But you're quite right ... the majority of 50-somethings will not respond well to being corrected by a 15-year old. Human nature being what it is and all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You're right, of course but the specific incident I was referring to happened underwater. I lost half my tank laughing when my son swam over to the VERY experienced divers (they reminded us often how experienced they were), tapped them on their shoulders and handed them their pressure guages that they had been dragging through the coral. I saw a few beautiful fans die by their actions and I planned some diplomatic talk on the surface but my son just couldn't take it anymore. I was proud of him (it being his 20th dive) but the folks ignored him - probably because of his youth and inexperience. They also ignored the DM when she said the same thing on the boat - probably for the same reason. You can't teach some old dogs new tricks. (I hope everyone knows I am smiling as I write all my posts)

cyklon_300:
it's just that with 21 WHOLE years of living accomplished, he's a become a highly accomplished diver and brilliant conversationalist.

My friends and I would be honored to have him carry our gear tho...we'd let him go with us, but I'm betting he doesn't have the necessary training or skills.

I'd like to hear his contributions to our post-dive chat, too...he probably has keen insights to decompression theory, mixed gas diving, international dive travel, film, sports, current events, etc etc...

We'd try hard to not look bad in front of him.

Im 23 and have enough to contirbute to mixed gas discussions, deco, etc... I Don't think i would allow you to carry my gear though...Just my thoughts in my whole 23 years of living though..

I've noticed rank discrimination by older men when it comes to buddying up with young women. Especially if they're wearing bikinis.I think we should all make an effort to stamp out this kind of behavior and make sure older men are paired up with younger women.

NWGratefulDiver:
the majority of 50-somethings will not respond well to being corrected by a 15-year old. Human nature being what it is and all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yep but that doesn't stop those 15 year olds from offering it, constantly :)

I'm 58 and I enjoy instructing young divers. For whatever reason I seem to hold their interest well, maybe even better than younger instructors I know.

I do think there is more descrimination directed towards older divers than towards younger ones on average. But like everyone here, I base my opinion on what I see of them before and during a dive, not on the number on their drivers license.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom