Air 2 free flow while scootering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you chose a noticably lower performance detuned R190???

I suppose you could develop a way to protect a well tuned high performance regulator so it is not exposed to the forces that initiate a freeflow. but it just seems easier to me to simply provide the user a control that allows the dynamic adjustment of cracking pressure to adjust fort such situations.

It doesn't have to be wildly detuned, just not on the verge of leaking. Breaths adequately for its purpose, doesn't leak, has less parts, and is great for the job. I find balanced adjustables to be way more finicky and prone to leaks than r190 type regs, too.

It's not like I don't have enough regs to choose from, either :p

It doesn't have to be wildly detuned, just not on the verge of leaking. Breaths adequately for its purpose, doesn't leak, has less parts, and is great for the job. I find balanced adjustables to be way more finicky and prone to leaks than r190 type regs, too.

It's not like I don't have enough regs to choose from, either :p

Yes, it is a bit easied to take a G250 to 1" of cracking prssure and below while an R190 may start to get a bit unstable below 1.2". And, if you tune them both to 1.2", it may be hard to notice any diffeerence. But an adjustable gives you options you just don't get with an R190, like tuning it to 0.8" and taking it back up to 1.4" with a turn of the knob in adverse conditions; and then back to 1" when you put it in your mouth.

I doubt if anything beats the parts count of a 109.

Hi guys
Yesterday the wife and I went for a dive at the Gold Coast Seaway. A fairly routine dive site that we had both dived previously, on this dive though we were to be using 2 Apollo AV-1 scooters for the first time. We started the dive very slowly and we're just slowly familiarising ourselves with the scooters. We stayed close and observed each other and everything looked OK. I did notice that when the wife was propelling forward there were some bubbles/turbulence coming from here prop. After 26 minutes into the dive she signalled to me that she was OOA. I deployed my backup and we just took a minute too stabilise our breathing and take stock of the situation. We were about 200 meters from the exit in a heavily used boating channel. So the decision was made too tow the wife while air sharing, it was interesting but quite easy. I powered my scooter while she held my tank valve and let her scooter hang behind. We made it too the exit with about 70bar to spare and exited with minimal drama. We checked over all her gear and no leaks/faults were found. Upon reflection the bubbles I saw were a steady free flow from her airsource 3 aqualung Octo inflator.
Is there any way she can prevent this from happening as I recommend she gets a quality reg as a back up and go to a standard inflator, but she is quite attached to her air 3. Thanks Chris

You can easily detune the Scubapro Air2. Perhaps it is as easy to detune the Aqua Lung Airsource 3. Stick the appropriate size Allen wrench down the low pressure attachment orifice and turn a modest amount clockwise. This can be repeated if the adjustment is insufficient. The Air2 often will bubble a bit following a regulator service, this is the same way to deal with that problem. I have been diving an Air2 since 2002. It is easy to find the right size Allen wrench as it is the only size that will advance firmly into the adjustment orifice. I apologize if this is inappropriate advice for your regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom