Air integrated computer and a pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not long ago I was on a tourist dive in MX with my son. Another husband and wife team had new AI computers, and I believe, forgot to turn air on his computer. Another diver tried to turn his air on... (yada yada) He never found his transmitter.

Bob in CO

I have been diving a Luna for two years now and IF it loses connection, it will reconnect again within a few seconds unlike the Suunto one I had before.
No problems with strobes yet.

As others have mentioned, do not let anyone handle your rig once the transmitter is on the 1st stage. I have personally seen 2 customers lose a $400+ piece of gear because someone picked their kit up by the transmitter and not the tank valve. I would personally never run an AI but if I did I'd keep a small SPG on the unit. Between that and my dive watch I can get past any issues arising from the computer deciding not to work and keep diving.

CPH do you have a backup gauge? I'm considering the Luna as our computer!

The Luna is superb dive computer. Although it has bells and whistles up the kazoo, its display is easy to read and understand. The Smart Trak software works nicely without any bugs. I have not encountered any problems downloading dives to my PC and performing software upgrades. I do have a backup SPG, which I keep on my left side with the transmitter attached to the right side HP port. No interference at all even when I was taking pictures with a strobe. I use the SPG just to check the tank's pressure when I open the tank valve. Apart from that, it's only to show other divers my remaining air, should they ask.

I've read a few posts about the rubber wrist straps breaking on Wireless AI computer/watches. I tied a lanyard to mine, which is secured at my wrist.

Wireless is for convenience only. If it matters, and I argue it does, one needs a reliable mechanical backup. An O-ring on a port plug or an O-ring on a sensor are all the same to me, but there are no electronics in my SPG...

YMMV

As others have mentioned, do not let anyone handle your rig once the transmitter is on the 1st stage. I have personally seen 2 customers lose a $400+ piece of gear because someone picked their kit up by the transmitter and not the tank valve. I would personally never run an AI but if I did I'd keep a small SPG on the unit. Between that and my dive watch I can get past any issues arising from the computer deciding not to work and keep diving.

I agree that a backup spg is a good thing. Actually, I would not have a computer that has a transmitter. But, among those who do, many attach the transmitter to a short hose to help prevent the transmitter being snapped off by someone who is trying to "help".

I see too many divers with connection problems. And it usually happens immediately before or after jumping into the water, so it really messes up the dive. So I'd always keep an SPG. However, the whole point of the wireless setup is to lose the hose, so bottom line: spend the money elsewhere.

I use a Aeris Elite T3, and I have not had a problem with it losing signal. I like having all the info on my wrist, but it cant hurt to have a backup spg.

Back
Top Bottom