Air Quality Certificate

I am aware of biannual CSA testing required for air fill stations?

• And always ask to see a certificate every 6 months

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Sometimes ask

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Never ask

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • What is an air certificate?

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe in 2 tier. I believe in multi-tier. You get what you can afford. The government can help those who are TRULY indigent. Thus, those who don't want to work get nothing; regular folks like you (I assume) and I get decent care; rich bastards get top notch care. And why not? I derserve better than the bums (the TRUE bums - not the really unfortunate ones who I'd be willing to help - if we can find the two of them); if someone has been exceptionally fortunate or hard working and successful, they should be able to get their reward for their efforts and get something better. What's the logic in saying to the rich that they can't have really good care but that they must pay so the bums can?

Air fills don't cost me directly; regulator service does and is part of my income base; the free beer is very appealing but illegal. I suppose I could apply for a liquor licence and post it beside the pure air certificate and then you could choose which you'd prefer - a free $5 air fill or a free $5 can of cold beer to drink while you watch your tank get filled slowly. The more beer you drink the better your fill.

I am not so sure that providing 'free' air is in the long term interest of divers overall. I understand the logic of using it as a loss leader at your store which makes perfect business sense, but on a subconscious level may undermine the importance of how air quality should be seen by the diver. When someone doesn't pay for something, like in healthcare they come to accept lower quality and don't question anything because the service provided is 'free'. Because you are giving the air away divers may be less likely to question the quality of that air as it is 'free'. It is a perception issue.

Also indirectly rather than raising the bar for air standards in the Province you are likely contributing to a gradual erosion of those standards. There is always a compromise between profit and safety in this world but as other shops are forced to compete with you on 'free' air and offer 'cheaper' air they may be tempted to forego filter changes, compressor maintenance, and air cert testing so as to lower the cost to produce their air.

I just think as a leader in the dive industry (I think?) you should be raising the bar for the quality of air we breath. I think you grossly underestimate divers by thinking we do not care about the quality of fills we get. I would much rather see you charge for fills, have the latest air filtration system, and advertise this fact rather than creating a gimmick that symbolically lowers the quality of air we all breath.

Give me the free beer instead but charge me a fair price on your part for a high quality fill :)

I don't believe in 2 tier. I believe in multi-tier. You get what you can afford. The government can help those who are TRULY indigent. Thus, those who don't want to work get nothing; regular folks like you (I assume) and I get decent care; rich bastards get top notch care. And why not? I derserve better than the bums (the TRUE bums - not the really unfortunate ones who I'd be willing to help - if we can find the two of them); if someone has been exceptionally fortunate or hard working and successful, they should be able to get their reward for their efforts and get something better. What's the logic in saying to the rich that they can't have really good care but that they must pay so the bums can?

I can't take anything you say seriously anymore Seahunter.....I guess those that have a disability are bums? How about those that are displaced workers over 50 with no skills other than sweeping floors, pumping tanks or retail???

Come on ,devils advocate or not, that's too far off topic.

Free air like free sex may certainly be tempting, but there are many hidden risks the naive may regret after the fact.

'The eyes can't see what the brain doesn't know' :boom:

Easy Sneaky!
Wouldn't they qualify as "truly unfortunate"?
Re-read the post - I said those that don't WANT to work.

I have a heart - I just don't have enough money to support all the politicians AND all the bleeding hearts and have any left over for my own family.
I don't believe in giving able-bodied people money to sit at home -how's that? Can you live with explanation? Give them money so they can live but also give them something to do. At least educate them so they can do something for themselves.

Good analogy puffer.
Take the free air and definately take the free sex BUT check to be sure both are clean first.
Right!!

Okay Seahunter, I misunderstood you. I see your point. Lets all get back on topic ...Air quality certificates.

Where are all the other dive shop owners chiming in and advertising to Ontario divers that they do quarterly testing, possibly biannual testing as required by law, or even annual testing? No there is a strange silence out there from other fill station owners as they are embarassed and potentially liable for the no testing program they currently have.

How about Ontario divers go out this week before the season gets underway in earnest and ask at their local dive shops to see an air certificate from an accredited canadian lab less than six months old. Please post the name of the shop that has one and divers will frequent that shop. It will be good for business. I am particularly interested in shops from areas where there are a lot of dive tourists like Toby, Brockville, and Kingston.

I have a feeling though there won't be but a handful of fill stations even meeting this basic biannual requirement for testing which should concern Ontario divers very much.

pufferfish once bubbled...
Where are all the other dive shop owners chiming in and advertising to Ontario divers that they do quarterly testing, possibly biannual testing as required by law, or even annual testing? No there is a strange silence out there from other fill station owners as they are embarassed and potentially liable for the no testing program they currently have.

How about Ontario divers go out this week before the season gets underway in earnest and ask at their local dive shops to see an air certificate less than six months old. Please post the name of the shop that has one and divers will frequent that shop. It will be good for business. I am particularly interested in shops from areas where there are a lot of dive tourists like Toby, Brockville, and Kingston.

I have a feeling though there won't be but a handful of fill stations even meeting this basic biannual requirement for testing which should concern Ontario divers very much.

Qualify that and add "by an ACCREDITED CANADIAN lab" otherwise you will get all sorts of junk back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom