Air Sharing/ S drills in sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are factors like silt-out and confined areas to consider. Swapping tanks wouldn't necessarily be the safer option, given certain circumstances.

I do agree with the previous though - running out of gas on sidemount is pretty hard... at least, running out without warning and needing a 'save-a-life' immediate gas donation.

IF the buddy comes up to you and tried to pull the reg out of your mouth, treat the situation from a Rescue Diver POV. Block the buddy with a straight left arm so he doesn't rip the reg out of your mouth meanwhile un-clipping your long hose with the right hand. Then in one motion, deliver the long hose to the OOG diver.

Really? You're going to block an OOG diver from taking your reg if he needs it? I'll let him take whichever he wants, and take whatever's left--I'm not the one with nothing to breath and starting to panic.

Here's another tweak. Why bother with clipping off the long hose at all. Why not put both regs on a single necklace. Given that you will be swapping regs throughout the dive to balance gas wouldn't you want them to be as close to your mouth as possible? Clipping off is another thing to manage. Two necklaces wouldn't work - one over the the ugh - but one necklace that takes two reg mouthpieces why not?
My necklace is a bungee with one of those yellow rubber mouthpiece holder thingies that you push the mouthpiece through. Most LDS stock theme easy to fit two on one bungee ring. Easy pull out in an emergency and no clip. For reg swapping you can do it no-handed if you like.
I'm gonna have a play with that in the shallows this weekend but in the interim why is this a *bad* idea :)

" build it and they will come"......sorry, just a little kevin costner humor. couldn't help it.

Why not put both regs on a single necklace...but in the interim why is this a *bad* idea :)
During OOA-drills the bungee will often be stretched and snap back into your cheek and mouth area when the regulator is ripped out.
Works, but it is so annoying in cold water...

Maybe I can help, I'm a sidemount instructor.
Block the buddy with a straight left arm so he doesn't rip the reg out of your mouth meanwhile un-clipping your long hose with the right hand.
4d03283a62814.jpg

LMAO!! I couldn't see doing this to my buddy if he needs gas.

Here's another tweak. Why bother with clipping off the long hose at all. Why not put both regs on a single necklace. Given that you will be swapping regs throughout the dive to balance gas wouldn't you want them to be as close to your mouth as possible? Clipping off is another thing to manage. Two necklaces wouldn't work - one over the the ugh - but one necklace that takes two reg mouthpieces why not?
My necklace is a bungee with one of those yellow rubber mouthpiece holder thingies that you push the mouthpiece through. Most LDS stock theme easy to fit two on one bungee ring. Easy pull out in an emergency and no clip. For reg swapping you can do it no-handed if you like.
I'm gonna have a play with that in the shallows this weekend but in the interim why is this a *bad* idea :)

One of the great things about sidemount is that there is alot of experimentation with gear config. I recall Netdoc talking about this in another thread, and he used a piece of rigid plastic threaded onto the bungee to keep the two regs apart.

Picture of his setup here: Sidemounting in the Sea of Cortez - ScubaBoard Gallery
Thread discussing it here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sidemount-diving/455438-first-regs-sidemount-4.html#post6811799
And a bit more here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/si...liveaboard-musings-my-trip-rocio-del-mar.html

That said, with a little practice clipping and unclipping the long hose is not difficult, you just need to build up the muscle memory, YMMV.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom