Air Siphon Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose that's going to depend on how well you stay on top of things and what sort gear you wear. I can bring myself to a dead stop at 20', when traveling at about 60 FPM by starting to "brake" (raising the mouthpiece) at about 30 feet.

Thal, have you used this method while wearing a drysuit?

Yes, it is actually much easier in a dry suit because if you set your shoulder valve to "light shrinkwrap" your suit should be at a, more or less, constant volume on the way up while when you're in a wetsuit you've got to adjust for the suit's gain in buoyancy during your ascent.

You are keeping the size of the bag, and thus your buoyancy constant by maintaining the position of the open inflator mouthpiece, as you rise the air in the bag expands and flows out, the level of the gas in the bag is determined by the relative position of the open mouthpiece. Oh, yeah ... you need to be vertical in the water column, doesn't work real well in a horizontal configuration.

Makes sense

Have taught this ascent for years (probably because my original instructor taught me this in my first course). We just called it a neutral buoyant ascent.

First dive this spring, I am going to try this. It intrigues me.

Thanks for the info.

Have taught this ascent for years (probably because my original instructor taught me this in my first course). We just called it a neutral buoyant ascent.

Yep, another lost gem from days gone by. This was part of the YMCA training in the 80's....

We teach this as part of the rescue course at my LDS. It is a very useful skill when you are surfacing another diver, but does take repetition to master. Thanks for the thread.
DivemasterDennis

but my bungee around my wings will squeeze it dry and I will sink to the abyss. JK, my bungee is only tight enough to keep the wings from flapping around when empty.

Also, I think it could be done in horizontal position. You just have to be on your right side and bring the inflator hose toward the right side of your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom