Air Siphon Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Sorry, bungies will not work, but then most folks recommend against them for a bunch of reasons.

2. There is not enough vertical distance in the bag if you are not vertical.

THIS is why I love the boards. I am going to begin trying this on my very next dives. Tend to be a "horizontal ascent" person but this sounds like a technique worth "going vertical" for.

I wear my dive computer on my left wrist. Does this technique make hard to watch your ascent rate? If so I would switch over to the right.

If you are properly weighted, you would have so little air (or no air) in your BCD, I don't think this would work. I really don't think you could control your ascent rate to 60'/min, much less 30'/min.

If you are properly weighted, you would have so little air (or no air) in your BCD, I don't think this would work. I really don't think you could control your ascent rate to 60'/min, much less 30'/min.
If you read carefully again you'll see the original post recommended you "kick up or add air to your BC until you begin to ascend." Either way, I'd be willing to bet with a little practice you could quite easily control your ascent rate by minor adjustments just like you can adjust your braking/acceleration when driving a car. It would just take some practice doing it a few times before you dialed in the skill. I'm guessing vacation divers wouldn't be likely to get good at it though.

I have never heard this one before and I dive with a lot of old... mouth breathers??? I already hold my wrist mount computer up for an ascent, it would be easy to hold the inflator with the same hand. Thanks for the idea, I'll ask around the club and give it a try.

Think for a moment what, "properly weighted" means. I suggest that if you are, "properly weighted," it is rather likely that you will have more than enough air in your BC to compensate for your suit's compression to start you on your way with just a few kicks up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom