Air & water temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone have any current reports on air & water temperatures out on the GBR?

Last edited:
Thanks

We're still debating whether or not to go dry for a 7-day live-aboard. We get cold easily and with a lot of diving we go dry if the water is below 24 C.

Ha ha. Know what you mean. I get so used to the water temp up here in the Tropics unless it has steam coming off it these days I get cold.
But boats like Spirit of Freedom etc have nice hot showers available and also give you warm towels after each dive! Sheer induclgence but worth it.
Also long wet suits are also available. Dry suit may be a little excessive unless its a bag suit rather than compressed neoprene. Otherwise get too hot.

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Diving Australia - Spirit of Freedom

When are you thinking about going as there are some good deals on 7 day trips at the moment. Mike Ball have AUD$500 per person off trips

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Mike Ball Dive - Great Barrier Reef

Both SOF and MB do 7 day trips.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Australia Diving - Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef

I did a 3 day liveaboard 3 weeks ago and the water temp was never below 26 and occassionally was 27. I was quite comfrotable in a 3 mil even though I brought my 5 mil along just in case.

Guys what can I expect in early August? Aquaprodive list as mid 20s. Will it warm up much or stay the same then in August? Diving cod hole and ospreys

Mid 20s is reasonable for Reefs within the GBR. Osprey is outside and being deeper water with oceanic currents temperatures can drop to low 20s. Depends on depth of diving too remember.
August the water temp is still dropping, and on average I would say Osprey work on 23 degrees and Ribbon / Outer Reefs 24-25 degrees at 10m.

We send out Reef reports on our Facebook page every few days, so if you wanted to keep up to date take a look there. (Just do a search for Aquapro Dive Services on FB if the link below doesnt work)

Welcome to Facebook

On monday 14th July water temperature insude the Reef at Moore Reef was 26 degrees with 20m visability.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Hey Kev

Yeah thanks, I will bring the 5mm then, just not sure whether to bring my full foot fins or lug some extra baggage with the boots and open heels. Im just a lot more nifty diving with full foots in currents. Love my Excels. Any one else care to share?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom