Air & weights for LaJolla cove dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ippy01

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I apologize in advance if this topic has been answered before -- but I searched and couldn't find anything.......

I'm going to be in San Diego in mid October and would love to dive LaJolla cove. Logistically, how is this done? I will have all my gear, except air & weights of course.

Are there close-by dive shops that can help? I'm assuming you just park as close as possible and wade on in -- true?

Hey there...
What part of Oct are you going to be there? I will be in the area on the Oct 22nd or 23rd..and possibly at Catalina and not at La Jolla... My friend that I will be visiting lives in Canyon Lake. so we are in the middle of both so not sure where we will dive...

but to maybe answer part of your question.. I dove at La Jolla 2 years ago and rented my equipment and a DM (seeing how it was going to be my first time in the ocean and I had just been OW certified the week before) and we used Dive California their number is/was 619-222-0060.
Yes. we parked close put our stuff on a table.. and went right in...
Water temp was 56 degrees when I was there...so be prepared with hood, gloves, etc...
Not sure I am the best person to fill you in on stuff seeing how I am not a local... but I will try if I can?!?!

A dive at La Jolla Cove during the summer can be a pain in the A**...mainly due to the issue with parking. For mid-to-late October, you shouldn't have any problem with parking.
Logistically, just drop off all of your gear at the grassy area near the top of the stairs. You can have your buddy watch the stuff (or not) while you park your car nearby. In the summer, this can be several blocks away for free on-street parking.
Return to the grassy area and spread out your dive gear. Get geared up, walk down the steps, and do the dive.
In many years of La Jolla diving, I've never had an issue with anyone stealing anything from our "gear pile" while we are out diving. Nevertheless, I'd recommend not leaving anything of value on the grassy area while you dive. I carry my car key on a d-ring connected to my rig.

There is no dive shop in the Cove area. The closest place for air fills is OEX located in the La Jolla Shores area (about a 1.5 mile drive from the Cove). The staff there can be overwhelmed by kayakers, so you may want to go elsewhere for air fills. Sport Chalet at the La Jolla-UTC mall is the next closest dive shop. Ocean Enterprises in Clairemont Mesa will give a good, if not pricey, fill. I would have recommended SDUA for cheap air and nitrox fills...but they just closed their doors recently. I'm still broken up about that.

You can hire a local DM through Dive California or OEX. A better (and definitely more inexpensive) alternative might be to sign up on the Divebums.com email list-serv...and send out a "dive buddy wanted" post. There are many helpful local divers who would gladly take you out with them.

Hope this info helps...

@Jendra: Glad to see that you joined the Divebums list-serv. I'm willing to bet that someone will be planning a dive on the days that you'll be here. In case that falls through, another active group that tends to organize dive activities every weekend is the Meetup.com group organized by Bill Powers (an instructor for Ocean Enterprises). It's free to join, but I don't think they normally plan day dives during the work week. Have fun!

Thanks to everyone for all the help! I will be there Monday 10.19.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom