Airfare changed our trip destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

averagediver

Registered
Reaction score
We love going to Roatan and have been there 5 times. Choosing our wintervacation, our first choice was to go back to FIBR, but the airfares are crazy. We also have gone to Cozumel in the past and the airfares are more reasonable. So that's our December trip this year - sorry Roatan.

I wonder how many more have made a similar choice because of the cost of fling to Roatan compared to other destinations ?

Here's one! :wavey:

Airfare costs are DEFINITELY a major factor in where I choose to dive, especially these days with all the airlines getting too creative tacking on extra fees for every freaking thing !

BTW, I did a week @ Coco View/Roatan a few years ago, and while the resort/dive facilities were fine...the diving sucked ! Vis was bad all week, it's totally fished out, and showing heavy reef damage from too many divers crossing the same ground over and over, so I wouldn't go back to Coco View ever again. That being said, the off-shore shark dive we did was a VERY nice dive, but one nice dive in a whole week of diving does not justify a return trip. One LDS has done dive trips to Roatan with another resort (Ramone's I think was the name of the dive op) and they told me the reefs are very nice there, but the accomodations are VERY spartan, so I might do another dive trip to Roatan, IF the dive sites we did were nice, even if the living conditions were pretty rustic.

Reactions: Jax
Air fare is always a major consideration on not only where we go but when.

I found $319 plus junk fees to Belize after Christmas so that's were we will probably go next.

Roatan prices are just nuts!

Totally have changed my diving trips based on airfare/time, and total costs.
Try going to the Philippines every year, airfare always over $1000, 17 hours air time + one day due to time change, and long tranfers.

We have been to Roatan twice and loved it. When we were planning our fall get away, the air fare was one of the major reasons for going back to Coz. Plus Iberostar was running a good all inclusive package. Hopefully prices come down somewhat, since we loved Roatan so much. Bonair is on my bucket list, but those fares are even worse than Roatan.

We have been to Roatan twice and loved it. When we were planning our fall get away, the air fare was one of the major reasons for going back to Coz. Plus Iberostar was running a good all inclusive package. Hopefully prices come down somewhat, since we loved Roatan so much. Bonair is on my bucket list, but those fares are even worse than Roatan.

If you do Bonaire, don't do the Continental Airlines 'red eye' (middle of the night flight) that REALLY sucked and, in retrospect, was a stupid/exhausting/inefficient idea....sounded OK on paper (I trusted a LDS to plan/run the trip) but in reality is a VERY boneheaded concept!

I just booked a trip to Roatan with Delta. Tickets would have been $1050 from the local regional airport, or $950 from Atlanta. I decided to use skymiles and was given a quote of 60,000 miles. Two days later I check again and they were only 47,500 miles, so I booked two tickets. I figure that's about $475.00 worth of miles, so that's a good deal. My point is that now is a really good time to use miles.

Me, too.

I went to Utila last year because the package included airfare. Was affordable.
Would love to go to Roatan or Bonaire. rates not in my budget.

I went to Coz a few weeks ago and the hotel AND air cost less than the air only to the above destinations.

American Airlines currently has some sweet prices for flights to Curacao (Mid week) next summer.

Fly to Curacao and take a puddle jumper to Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom