Airfare changed our trip destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do Bonaire, don't do the Continental Airlines 'red eye' (middle of the night flight) that REALLY sucked and, in retrospect, was a stupid/exhausting/inefficient idea....sounded OK on paper (I trusted a LDS to plan/run the trip) but in reality is a VERY boneheaded concept!
I loved the red eye when it was a direct flight from Newark to Bonaire. I'm not very good at sleeping on planes, but I'd usually get a nap upon arrival, breakfast later, and do a dive or two right out front in the afternoon. Even if I spent most of the day laying in a hammock, it beat spending a day just about anywhere else (and particularly in Houston's airport, changing planes). The next day I'd have a good night's sleep, the rust knocked off of my diving technique, and the camera rig fully assembled, lubricated, etc., all at a leisurely pace.

Has anyone heard more about the rumor that Spirit was going to start service to Roatan sometime in the near future? I know their fares run cheaper to Costa Rica, so curious to see what they'll do if they start service to Roatan. Provided it's not the crazy flight times like it is into SAP.

For the last several years we have went to Roatan in January, but our group is headed to Cozumel this year, mainly because of the airfare. We are staying in Coz with the same amount of diving and all-inclusive hotel, but at about half the cost in airfare. We have been to Coz 6-7 times before and it is just a different type of diving. I like the reefs on the south side of Roatan, but you have to enjoy the waters and marine life that you are in. I am sure we will be back to Roatan and hope they get more carriers going in there to reduce fees. Gotta love Roatan!

Here's one! :wavey:
So JAX, Which is it?? Is it the airfare you could not afford or are you staying away because of the crime issue as you stated in your other post about the Island

The fact that such behavior IS well-known and well-documented . . . yet somehow still tolerated, is enough to keep me from visiting

There just seems to be something odd about someone who continues to visit and post in a forum just to tell us they are not going to visit.

I am sure we will be back to Roatan and hope they get more carriers going in there to reduce fees. Gotta love Roatan!

It has nothing to do with the amount of carriers. For many years I flew to the Bay Islands with TACA for around $200 all in R/T from Miami. Taca prices started going up an then Continental showed up and all cheered WOOO HOOO, Competition and better prices, Well, Prices went up more and then DELTA Showed up and all cheered again WOOO HOOO Competition means better prices. Why would you think another carrier wouldmake a difference?
That said, I am glad Delta chooses to fly there, As a Delta Gold medallion member travelling often with one of their Diamond members we have flown to Roatan on points since their first flight there and continue to travel with 2 or three bags each of up to 70 pounds

Wow, a grand to go to Roatan. Had no idea. I've been going to Indonesia from the West Coast for $750 to $1500 on Singapore Air. Coach, of course. It does take time to get there, though but you get some of that back on the way back.

And don't plan working the same day your flight leaves at midnight unless you sleep well sitting up on a plane. Up about 30 hours. Lesson learned.

I feel the more carriers coming in couldn't hurt, but I know what you mean by uping the prices. One advantage to Coz has been that you could fly in every day of the week. I wish that Roatan had more flights in. (without going to the mainland) All the cruise ships that are coming in now could change that a little, but the cruise ships.....? I would think American could make it work, but as Roatan Man said they always seem to have full flights coming and going so maybe they will get airfare down as the resorts could sure use the help. (who am I kidding...)

Time to re-think the original statement...I checked the fares on Continental Airlines from Houston this morning, and for a December departure the price has come down to $490.00 :):):)

I feel the more carriers coming in couldn't hurt, but I know what you mean by uping the prices. One advantage to Coz has been that you could fly in every day of the week. ...)
Well Historically it has hurt, prices were best when there were fewer carriers, As far as more daily direct flights, That would make it more difficult for so many places with limited resort experience to have to deal with new folks and orientations on a daily basis

I would think American could make it work.)
American has stood by their poicy they will not fly a direct large plane into roatan until , in theThe PADIesque way of putting things, There is a hospital and trauma unit available IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT there was an issue with a flight or maybe rather landing that could deal with the volume of folks that may need help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom