Airline advice to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest tip to save money on a trip is not to be completely
rigid on your travel dates & days and try to travel when others
are NOT traveling.
To get the best fares, see if there is
a charter available from your departure city.
Most of the time charters do not leave every day of the week so
you have to pick days that the charters leave on.
I use FunJet quite a bit and many times they can combine
a hotel/resort & car (if you need one) as part of a package
much cheaper than you could get by doing them seperately
on your own.
I used to get much better prices by doing it all my self
but the last year or so that hasn't been the case.
Now, I think the hotel & car folks are reducing their costs to help
close a travel deal so the packages tend have better
pricing lately.

Also, many times the lowest fares are obtained by not traveling
on a Fri, Sat, or Sun and for sure not on a Holiday or days that
touch the Holiday.
I've done trips where a total inclusive package including
food & drinks for a Thurs-Mon vacation will be cheaper than just
Airfare for a Fri-Sun vacation on the same weekend!
(Did this back in early June of this year going to Cozumel)

Depending on where you live, it can even be cheaper to
book a package deal from a big city like Dallas, Atlanta, Houston
etc, and then get airfare to that city.

Also, if you have airline miles, you can use them. Sometimes
you don't have to have enough miles to get a free ticket but
can use less miles to reduce the cost of the ticket.

Some other things worth noting:
Americal Arilines will always have great specials the 2nd week of
the 2nd month of the quarter. They want additional revenue
and will discount fares to get it. These require lastminute
travel capabilities.

The week following the weekend of a major US holiday is
usually a good travel time because many people just used
up their vacation on the holiday. Crowds are lower and
fares are usually much lower than the holiday period.

--- bill

Try other airports within a reasonable drive time. I just today got $288 Rt to Cancun from Indianapolis for Feb 11-18 on Frontier. That includes the tax. I live in the Chicago area but for a $200 savings over a Chicago departure I'll drive the 3 hours to Indy. Don't know where in Ohio you are but try Apple, Funjet, and I think Worry free has charters out of Cinci and Louisville. North west Ohio try Detroit departures. Funjet always has deals from there.
Lou

loudives:
Try other airports within a reasonable drive time. I just today got $288 Rt to Cancun from Indianapolis for Feb 11-18 on Frontier. That includes the tax. I live in the Chicago area but for a $200 savings over a Chicago departure I'll drive the 3 hours to Indy. Don't know where in Ohio you are but try Apple, Funjet, and I think Worry free has charters out of Cinci and Louisville. North west Ohio try Detroit departures. Funjet always has deals from there.
Lou

Uh... Lou, You can fly (direct) about 5 different ways from Chicago to Cancun for $300 (incl. tax). No need to go all the way to Indy.

ATA, United, Funjet, Apple, USA3000 are all $300ish and I know I'm forgetting at least one more.

Hey Jeff,
I know about all those, also Millwaukee. Have you checked lately. Prices are way up. I'm on my way Dec1 on Ata for $313 But for Feb everything is $450 or more. Spirit and AA are the ones you missed.
Will you be diving with Christi again the Feb. or has married life slowed you down? If you want to go by Dec 15 I can Get you a deal at the Reef Club. (oops you love the local eateries AI's are out)
Lou

loudives:
Hey Jeff,
I know about all those, also Millwaukee. Have you checked lately. Prices are way up. I'm on my way Dec1 on Ata for $313 But for Feb everything is $450 or more. Spirit and AA are the ones you missed.
Will you be diving with Christi again the Feb. or has married life slowed you down? If you want to go by Dec 15 I can Get you a deal at the Reef Club. (oops you love the local eateries AI's are out)
Lou
The reason I know the airfare at the moment is we're headed down in a few weeks for our "honeymoon". That's how Mia got the time off. :eyebrow:

We aren't quite sure where we're staying yet (leaning towards Caribe Blu) or how we're getting there but i do know it won't be at an AI... Thanks for the offer though!

Prices have jumped up quite a bit for the weekend... i'm hoping they'll go back down by Tuesday, by then it will be less than 2 weeks to go. I hate waiting 'til the last minute.

BTW - Anybody at Caribe Blu right now? how full are they?

We paid $278/rt from Vegas via DFW to CZM for Christmas. Got the price thru Orbitz in September.

Moodiejeff:
The reason I know the airfare at the moment is we're headed down in a few weeks for our "honeymoon". That's how Mia got the time off. :eyebrow:

We aren't quite sure where we're staying yet (leaning towards Caribe Blu) or how we're getting there but i do know it won't be at an AI... Thanks for the offer though!

Prices have jumped up quite a bit for the weekend... i'm hoping they'll go back down by Tuesday, by then it will be less than 2 weeks to go. I hate waiting 'til the last minute.

BTW - Anybody at Caribe Blu right now? how full are they?

My husband and I have a trip planned for Dec 2-6. Frontier had r/t for $268 St. Louis to Cancun (nonstop yea). We'll be staying at Caribe Blu.

GO CARDINALS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom