Airline Thieves!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Pardon the rant but I was unpacking my gear last night after getting back from Maui. Unzipped one of my pockets on my dive bag and it had been cleaned out! Fortunately it wasn't the more expensive things but they did take my lights and titanium knife (oops.. cutting tool). Anyone have this problem and is there any recourse with the airline or am I just SOL?
Thanks...

I've had that happen before, CD player, film, etc from a backpack pocket. Just write a nice letter to the airlines and tack on another $100 or so to the value of the contents to make up for the agro of replacing them. They actually paid pretty quick, but don't wait too long before reporting it.

Thats why people have travel insurance....

Thank you TSA. I feel so much safer now leaving all my stuff unlocked.

Zip tie all your pockets closed. Discourages grab-and-run on the tarmac, and the TSA will cut them (and replace them) if they search your bag.

When are they going to learn!

I really wish all airports did it the way they do it here in Colorado Springs. TSA screens your bag in line before you get to the ticket counter to check in. They mark the bag as having been screened, then they allow you to lock it if you wish (or they will zip-tie it if you ask). Doesn't take much extra time (if any) and you get to lock your bag before it goes off to the bowels of the airport.

COS is one of the few airports that I've seen that allows this and I wish that they all would!

One thing you might want to check out if you plan on dive travel often...there are some lines of dive luggage that have the external pockets, but you can only access the zippers to the external pockets from the inside of the main compartment. This makes getting to the 'external pockets' less convenient, however, if you're simply trying to keep items separate from other items, it prevents pilferage in airports. (Think its Akona, but could be mistaken...)

A friend of mine lost a set of dive tools and a save a dive kit that had been in the external pocket of her dive bag. It seems to be a fairly common complaint.

Folks,

We are always trying to weed out any dis-honest personnel in our ranks.

I have a request for anyone who has discovered missing gear in situations like those reported above.

Please, after your report to our folks to get your gear paid for or replaced, take a moment to find a number for the airline's Corporate Security Department. Report the occurrence to them. It will help them to track down the culprit, and that will help ALL of us.

Thanks!

BJD

I always get paranoid at luggage claim and dont bother with the clothes cases, i pace around the place restlessly until i see my case of dive gear arrive. Then im calm and wait for the rest.

Computer always travels in my hand luggage just in case.

Related note, i had huge problems with airport security last week, the paranoid minimum wage x-ray worker was determined my dive knife was not allowed on the aircraft.
This knife was zipped in my BC pocket in a double locked suitcase checked into the hold - its not as if i had it strapped to my calf or hand luggage !

I'd brought it into the country but he wouldnt let it out.

Much talking ensued (not easy without a common language) and eventually got his superiors to relent and allow it but its just another example of the often pointless post 11/9 paranoia thats creeping through airports worldwide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom