Airline Thieves!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that this helps now, but I encourage you not to use "dive bags". I think dive bags scream "steal me."

I carry my regs, computers, & mask with me. I pack my wet suit, fins, boots, bc in a standard suitcase with my cloth. If you were to open my suitcase and take a quick peak, you wouldn't even see the dive equipment unless you dug in there.

What Brad said. After OW, before my first trip, I asked a few old hands about travelling with gear.

They all recommended not using scuba (logo'd) bags.

Bryan

Bryan St.Germain:
What Brad said. After OW, before my first trip, I asked a few old hands about travelling with gear.

They all recommended not using scuba (logo'd) bags.

Bryan

Good idea!

Nice goat by the way!

Most of mine goes in the cabin, it fits in a nice bag. Only my wetsuit and sharp things, as well as spares get put in the hold - in my suitcase, no dive insignia to be seen!

I hope you realise you can open a back that is zip-tied or padlocked (assuming not a rigid back or crammed full), the material flexes and you can keep the ends of the zippers together whilst running the zip part along the tracks (kind of turns it inside out) - only takes a second or two - but only works on soft bags that arent stuffed full.

I don't understand why the bags have to be open anyway, is the X-ray machines not working anymore???? BS, if you ask me...........time to rip that screeners head off. I hate it when they steal my stuff.

Cabin isnt an option now over here at least

Firstly hand luggage is strictly limited to 5kg maximum.

Secondly the baggage size is strictly controlled

Thirdly, security has some very odd ideas as to what constitutes a weapon:

Regs? Nope, could strangle someone with it.
Torch ? Nope, could hit someone with it

Various things like that (yes those are actually things ive been told).

Its just my dive computer and logs that get to travel hand luggage with me now.

No one has mentioned this exactly, but the airline has primary liability for losses, don't they? File the claim ASAP.

Some airlines will only pay for lost baggage on a weight basis, ie per kilo. IIRC this is a standard JAA ruling.

Depending on the airline, your mileage direct with that may vary wildly.

String:
Cabin isnt an option now over here at least
Firstly hand luggage is strictly limited to 5kg maximum.
Secondly the baggage size is strictly controlled
Thirdly, security has some very odd ideas as to what constitutes a weapon:
Regs? Nope, could strangle someone with it.
Torch ? Nope, could hit someone with it
Various things like that (yes those are actually things ive been told).
Its just my dive computer and logs that get to travel hand luggage with me now.
Dont know about regulations per se, but i think its up to 25# (due to dropping out onto someone) and about the size of a reasonable recreational backpack or briefcase - i can pack my BP/W regs, HID, mask, computer and a couple of books to read in my bag without getting near those limits. I do have to open it up as they poke it with a stick after xray though.

Sorry forgot booties, wetsuit, fins, gloves/hood (if needed) also go in the hold along with sharp stuff and spares.

Back
Top Bottom