Airline Thieves!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must be doing something wrong. I usually DON'T get selected for any special treatment by the TSA, much less the rudeness and incompetence that has been stated here :(

I did get lucky a couple of times for a "random" second screening, but sadly I was treated with nothing but respect by the poorly trained, poorly paid "government goons", and the intrusion into my civil liberties, and my time, was sadly minimal. I was hoping they would at least give me an El Al-style interrogation in a dark cubicle with a single light bulb in the center, and that after a couple hours' of browbeating they would force me to run to the other end of the terminal only to see the jetway being pulled back from the aircraft. I am rather disappointed they didn't damage my luggage nor the contents inside, much less steal anything.

When I came back from a two-week trip to Europe last week, I was hoping the Swiss Army Knife I bought in Zurich would set off all sorts of alarms at San Francisco International, and that I would be standing at the baggage carousel only to find my Samsonite case to be an "exploded" version of what I checked in at Heathrow 12 hours earlier. Sadly it came through totally intact. Those TSA goons didn't even open it.

While I have been successful in getting rude treatment from a United Airlines check-in clerk and an LAX terminal employee (I think he was a janitor), I simply cannot get the desired "oppressive" treatment from the TSA, no matter how hard I try. Is it because, as a fellow overworked and underpaid government employee, I try not to give them a hard time and actually treat them as I wish to be treated myself? Is it because I actually show up to the airport with a reasonable time cushion so I don't have to rush and panic, and that when it's my turn to go through the metal detector I have already emptied my pockets and put my jacket, laptop (if I'm carrying one), and sometimes shoes (depending on airport) in the provided plastic trays, thus making their lives, my life, and that of the passengers behind me much easier?

I dunno how some of you have gotten so lucky. Any tips?

Hi, sorry 4 your loss but unless there was a blue certificate
and the missing items listed as being confiscated by customs U r right U been ripped. U can file with your airline carrier but that will do little good. Best bet is to weigh whether or not to file with your home owners Insurance. That is how I got reimbursed for a digital camera that got lifted. Remember, these Federal Baggage screeners are the same folks that were rent a cops before 911, they still don't press their shirts... D-Diver :fro:

nativenarcosis:
Pardon the rant but I was unpacking my gear last night after getting back from Maui. Unzipped one of my pockets on my dive bag and it had been cleaned out! Fortunately it wasn't the more expensive things but they did take my lights and titanium knife (oops.. cutting tool). Anyone have this problem and is there any recourse with the airline or am I just SOL?
Thanks...

I don't think it should be out of the question for airlines to force vids to be made of every bag screened and than those videos be sent via e-mail to the owner of the bag. I do like the idea of every bag being screened in line before check-in.

BTW - I actually had my TSA locks stolen off my bag...

Thing have changed sence 911. You can not lock your dive bag anymore. Sence I work for a airline. I do not put any valueables in any of my bags. Airlines only cover clothing and tolitires and your bag. { Nothing else period.} If your dive gear comes up missing your out of luck. I can say this TSA does not screen there employees very well so beware. I always carry my reg and dive computer on board and any other valueables with me. If you want you can get dive gear insurance from DAN. Hope this helps. Coairdiver.

Coairdiver:
Things have changed since 911. You can not lock your dive bag anymore. Coairdiver

Hi, Coairdiver!

Actually, as a point of information, you can obtain what are known as TSA locks. They are available from Home Depot, for instance, and are not expensive. The TSA can unlock and re-lock them for inspection purposes.

Cheers!

mempilot:
Here's a little known fact about how much they are paid.

A starting TSA employee needs no more than a GED education to get the job, yet gets a pension and is paid more than the first officer of the regional jet your flying on who has a 4-year degree and spent countless hours of training and sacrafice to get into that seat.
WOW!
With all their excellent training, such good pay.
Okay, I'll have to rethink and say, maybe it would
be a good idea to use part of their excellent salary,
from their first years pay to give them a little training
in consumer relations.
Then a smaller amount from each subsequent year
for retraining, maybe some of their party and rewards
money could be better spent as well.

Just thinking out loud here.

Tom

RonDawg:
I must be doing something wrong. I usually DON'T get selected for any special treatment by the TSA, much less the rudeness and incompetence that has been stated here :(

. . .

I dunno how some of you have gotten so lucky. Any tips?
I think you've made several somewhat faulty assumptions,
and it sems that you have unburdoned your pent up frustration
with the system in a very sardonic if passive aggressive manner.
I really prefer my aggression openly hostile.
But then, it's survival, I guess that's all that really matters,
do what's necessary to survive.

Tom

Nomaster:
I think you've made several somewhat faulty assumptions,

I'm sorry, but could you tell me what those assumptions were? I thought I was trying to liven up this otherwise ponderous thread with a bit of humor. Sorry if it didn't meet your expectations.

and it sems that you have unburdoned your pent up frustration
with the system in a very sardonic if passive aggressive manner.

Nah, no frustrations. As I've already tried to say with jest, I actually have had no problems with the TSA, even those few times I have been selected for "a bit more thorough search." My only question with TSA is why things aren't consistent from airport to airport or even from terminal to terminal within the same airport.

I really prefer my aggression openly hostile.

If you have had problems with the TSA, or with authority in general (your posts, as well as your screen name, do suggest you have a problem with authority as a whole), then perhaps this could be the reason why.

A first officer on a regional jet only makes $24000 a year.........works 5 days a week with 2 days off year round. The only holidays they get off are the ones that fall on their regular days off plus they are usually locked out of taking any type of leave during holidays and peak travel periods. I made more money as a truck driver and had more time off.

eandiver:
A first officer on a regional jet only makes $24000 a year.........works 5 days a week with 2 days off year round. The only holidays they get off are the ones that fall on their regular days off plus they are usually locked out of taking any type of leave during holidays and peak travel periods. I made more money as a truck driver and had more time off.

boo hoo
If it sucks so bad, you should go back to truck-driving.

Back
Top Bottom