Airline Thieves!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eandiver:
Lots of opinions (mostly BS) about TSA. Does anyone here actually work for them? Seems to me that I'm the only one who does (or at least who'll admit it) on this board. From what I've seen at TIA and what I've read here most people are FOS about their "experences" with TSA.

So if I have this correct, you are saying that everyone who has had baggage opened by TSA and subsequently ended up with items missing are "FOS" or more simply liars. Further more, when they claim that their losses have not been dealt with in a satisfactory manner, what they are saying is “mostly BS”.

Thank you for enlightening all of us on the mind set of TSA. This goes a long way into understanding what to expect when dealing with you and your fellow workers, of whom I’m sure you speak for.

God help us all if you are any example of who is keeping air travel safe.

eandiver:
Lots of opinions (mostly BS) about TSA. Does anyone here actually work for them? Seems to me that I'm the only one who does (or at least who'll admit it) on this board. From what I've seen at TIA and what I've read here most people are FOS about their "experences" with TSA.
I've been wondering about the possibilities? Some TSA agents have got to be divers, and as this is the biggest scuba discussion site in the world, "I wonder if any are members - and would admit it, as much as we bash them?"

Okay, I'm sure that you cannot speak for the Administration, and I'm sure things are tougher with the budget cuts (I'm still paying $10 a ticket for it all, though?), but help me understand TSA's policies on Pony bottles, listed in your regs as Scuba tanks. From: http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited as checked baggage. A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on baggage only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. TSA Security Screeners will NOT remove the seal/regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

From what I read here, your company would rather that I carry that 10 to 30 pound cylinder onto the plane as carry on luggage than put it in my checked bags with the valve removed, right? I tell ya', when I see anyone passing security with a 10-30# battering ram, I'm going to think twice about boarding a plane.

I guess your bosses thought they could cut payroll if the inspecting agents could look inside the tanks more easily, in carry-on rather than checked baggage, but this is just ridiculous. Have the agents even been provided with flashlights so they can see in?

Good luck on job hunting. Regarfdless of how the election goes in Nov, the polical need for TSA as a showpiece will greatly diminish.

Hey,
sorry to hear about the theft, but there is a lot you can do.... A lot of people get their stuff stolen, and dont file claims with the right people. The FAA should cover up to $1000 in missing parts and damages, as well as you airline might have another $500. If you follow the right steps, you can recover the costs....

if you think it was taken by TSA, call them:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=157
what airline were you on?
if Delta:
http://www.delta.com/travel/plan/baggage_info/declaring_value/index.jsp
(I was wrong it is $2500)
or AA:
https://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/liabilityLimitations.jhtml

go to the website fo your carrier, and call them! They will be happy to help you and in the end, you will also be happy.

sorry for the rant,
DES

RonDawg:
I've never flown BA so I can't comment on them. However I have flown Virgin twice to London, and they are worse than any US airline I have ever flown. And that includes budget carrier Southwest.

OK my experience is different though having been treated to BAs "Deli lunch" (a still frozen cuba of bread with some lettuce in) whereas i actually enjoyed the virgin food.

First is the seat pitch (distance between rows). When I first boarded a Virgin 747 I couldn't believe how close together the seats were. I'm not tall (5 foot 6) and yet I found myself doing circus-like contortions just to get in and out of my seat. It makes the average United economy class section look downright luxurious by comparison.

Again not my experience, economy class at least both virgin and BA have 31" seat pitch. Most airlines here especially short haul only offer 28".

Third is the ridiculous weight limitation on carry-on bags. Of all the airlines I have used (Northwest, America West, Alaska, United, Southwest, Virgin, Aloha), Virgin is the only one that has ever weighed my carry-ons.

Its unlikely you'll find any british airline and unlikely to find any european airline not enforcing the 5kg hand luggage limitation these days. Just another way of cutting costs and saving weight.

As with anything else though, your mileage may vary.

eandiver:

I do admire people who are so smart they can pass judgement on others without any first hand knowledge of the facts.

But then some people never do let facts interfere with their opinions.

For what it's worth, my extremely low opinion of the TSA comes from first hand experience.

It is a shame that common sense has to be left at home, and is no longer allowed on airport property.

String:
Again not my experience, economy class at least both virgin and BA have 31" seat pitch. Most airlines here especially short haul only offer 28".

United Airlines also uses 31" seat pitch in economy. But Sir Richard Branson must be using a non-standard ruler, because in my two experiences with Virgin, the seats are considerably closer than on United.

Either that, or Virgin has an unannounced fourth class section called "Let's squish those overweight Yanks in!"

Its unlikely you'll find any british airline and unlikely to find any european airline not enforcing the 5kg hand luggage limitation these days. Just another way of cutting costs and saving weight.

Which is why I prefer US-based carriers, especially for overseas flights.

eandiver:

My biggest problem is the inconsistency that I see about the whole screening
process, and the lack of care on the part of some of the screeners about
how someone's belongings are treated.

My wife and I travel a fair amount (>50K miles a year), and so have a fair amout
of interaction with the TSA in various airports.

An example of inconsistency is whether or not I need to remove my slippers
(flip-flops for those of you on the mainland) and have them x-rayed. Some
weeks it's yes, some weeks it's no, and I almost never guess right.

Guessing wrong (wearing them when they want them x-rayed) produces a
pat-down. Guessing wrong (putting them in for x-ray) gets me reprimanded
for doing so when they don't want to see them.

Bear in mind that these are little plastic slippers.

As for a lack of care about personal belongings, a screener at KOA broke
the latch on my wife's laptop computer because he failed to understand
how to use it to open the laptop (despite us trying to tell him not to pry the lid
open and how the latch works). No recourse is available to us.

Scuba gear. You'd think that in Hawaii they'd have seen scuba gear once in
a while. "Is that one of those Pssst Pssst things?" (holding up my regulator).

SIgh.

Maybe this would be better with better training for screeners. Good luck
with that; the TSA is a huge goverment agency and because of the sheer
size of the agency makes that a slow proposition at best.

We've not had anything go missing from our checked luggage, but it has
been tossed more times than I can count. A small suggestion: if you unpack
it to check the contents, at least have the courtesy to pack it back like you
found it.

String:
As someone travelling through miami next year with all my dive gear that makes me very worried !

Firstly i cant afford to be without my equipment for more than 1 week and secondly ive long since lost the receipts for my main dive gear.

DandyDon is right and I learned my lesson but. Who would have thought they could steal such a big bag. I get the insurance now and usually the agent puts an extra tag regarding the insurance on the bag and it gets through.

RE TSA our mis-adventures with them, and us not knowing BS when its in a tsa uniform.. Who needs the talliban when we tsa to disrupt flights!

mustfajohnson:
DandyDon is right and I learned my lesson but. Who would have thought they could steal such a big bag. I get the insurance now and usually the agent puts an extra tag regarding the insurance on the bag and it gets through.

RE TSA our mis-adventures with them, and us not knowing BS when its in a tsa uniform.. Who needs the talliban when we tsa to disrupt flights!

:hmmm: Hmm, never did the airline insurance? The extra tag probably gives it preferred hadling and security. Mihgt be a good idea on some trips, although it's kinda pricey, isn't it?

I get Trip Ins, in case of problems on the trip, or I have to cancel. Pretty small price for all it covers, i.e. family sickness, jury duty, house damage, delays, luggage, meidcal, etc.

eandiver:

I think you are FOS. Take a look on some knife collecting forums. The propensity for TSA to steal nice expensive cutlery out of checked luggage is very well documented. My brother's mammoth tusk handle pocket knife was lifted earlier this year from within a shaving kit in checked baggage which is what prompted us to do a search. Face it, you guys are robbing us blind because there's almost nothing we can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom