Airline Thieves!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
:hmmm: Hmm, never did the airline insurance? The extra tag probably gives it preferred hadling and security. Mihgt be a good idea on some trips, although it's kinda pricey, isn't it?

You are probably right because I haven't had a single problem since getting airline insurance. The thieves probably recognize that the airline would investigate since they would have ot pay the claim. It is pricey but not nearly as expensive as the deductable and herself doesn't have to ask me to stop the cussing fits about theives.

String:
Airline regs and airport regs here seem even more ludicrous than over there, i was specifically told i couldnt carry my regs (anyway with 5kg limit its hard to find space) and a relative of mine got a nail clippers confiscated by security at the x-ray / metal detector.
I always carry my comp/reg set-up on board with me and I am considering carry-on my BCD too. I was just wondering what you did when they refused to let you carry-on your regs. I mean could you got back and get your suitcase somehow so you could add it back in. or did they let you gate check it?
FYI Alaska Airlines does not cover dive gear in excess of their regular coverage, which is minimal, and you can't buy excess valuation coverage for Dive gear.

mustfajohnson:
RE TSA our mis-adventures with them, and us not knowing BS when its in a tsa uniform.. Who needs the talliban when we tsa to disrupt flights!
It's Al Queda vs. TSA, not the Taliban. The Taliban are (were) just very misguided misogynists who didn't have the sense god gave a rock. Someone
03.gif
once told me they thought the TSA screening procedures were poor, or inconsistent at best, because they wouldn't know what to do with a real terrorist if they caught one.

The TSA are checking for explosive material. As well as dangerous items which might not be made out of metal. Things that don't show up during x-ray screenings.
Feel free to tear the screeners head off, verbally or otherwise & you can count on not making your flight. They have zero tolerance for that type of thing. I see the TSA everyday & go through the checkpoint 5 x's a day or more. Lets just say they're not there to make friends.

It's much easier to take something from someones bag than to put something dangerous in. All airline employees go through the same security check point as the passengers. Your bags are checked the same as if you were a passenger. However, there is no one checking your bags as you leave the secured area. Before 9/11 we were able to bypass the security check points, through back hallways. We only needed to swipe our airport ID to open the doors to the secured areas. We are no longer allowed to do this. Also, not all airport employees have access to all areas, once you clear security. You still have to swipe your ID to get onto the jetbridge, ramp etc... Not all ID's open all doors.

As far as your stuff getting stolen, it's more likely that it is the airline employees. Not saying that TSA don't take stuff too. But the baggage handlers have more opportunity.

Fool proof product to keep people from rooting through your bags:

http://www.shomer-tec.com/site/product.cfm?id=99887213-F553-E130-7F2BE5BED6A1828B

At first I thought it was a bogus catalog but I looked through it and saw It was legit. Walmart has a cheaper version of the underwear safe. It is more of a do-it-yourself kit. You have to provide your own vel-cro and skid marks. Not one to brag, but I came up with that idea years ago.

Chummer:
Fool proof product to keep people from rooting through your bags:

http://www.shomer-tec.com/site/product.cfm?id=99887213-F553-E130-7F2BE5BED6A1828B

But now that it's been advertised, the smart thief is on the lookout for it, latex gloves at the ready. Think about it - it's easy enough to spot an outbound traveler's luggage, which one knows only contains laundered stuff. You find underwear with skid marks there, you KNOW it's a decoy.

When my wife and I read the stories below, we just nodded to ourselves. As if you couldn't see this happening from day one of "no locks or we'll cut them off".

JFK thefts by TSA

New Orleans TSA thefts

Not to say everyone is this way. Doesn't take much to spoil an already teetering image, though, does it? FWIW, I'm one of the many "FOS" that's had items stolen since the arrival of the TSA.

All the best, James

I guess I was just lucky ... went thru a total of 9 airports round-trip from Seattle to Bonaire and back. Carried our canister lights and dive masks (prescription) in our carry-on ... everything else was checked. In both directions our dive bag was searched ... found the little love-letter in the bag when we unpacked it. Not surprised ... with regulators and backplates in there it must've looked suspicious going thru x-ray. Nothing was missing ... in fact, on the way out they repacked my bag much more orderly than I had. My appreciation.

The checked luggage was funny ... I had the lights in a backpack and it got inspected at every single check-point. Then again, the battery pack for a Terkel light looks just like three sticks of dynamite taped together. Sure got some interesting looks from the screeners going thru the machine.

I found that a pleasant demeanor goes a long way with those folks ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I checked a pelican case with my computer in it and a zip tie. When I gave it to the TSA person I felt like this is the last time I am going to be this close to my computer. But I was traveling for work and had to get going as I was with a group. Sure enough on the other side my personal bag came down the conveyer belt but no pelican case. I issued a claim... 3days later United Airlines calls me and says we have your case. The name has been scratched off, there is no computer inside, but we know its your case because there is a scuba magazine inside with your name on it.

There policy... Not to cover electronic products. Its written right there is a size 5 font on your ticket jacket. LAME

Now before you all go into a rant about why I checked my computer you should know that in the old days they used to make you turn you computer on at the security screening area. This became a hassle because i had to wait for it to boot all the way up and than shut down. If I was by myself no big deal but i travel with my boss who is not that patient. So I just checked it.

Bye bye computer

mustfajohnson:
DandyDon:
:hmmm: Hmm, never did the airline insurance? The extra tag probably gives it preferred hadling and security. Mihgt be a good idea on some trips, although it's kinda pricey, isn't it?

You are probably right because I haven't had a single problem since getting airline insurance. The thieves probably recognize that the airline would investigate since they would have ot pay the claim. It is pricey but not nearly as expensive as the deductable and herself doesn't have to ask me to stop the cussing fits about theives.

What does the insurance cost through the airline?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom