Akumal Dive recommendations please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to reality. The trip was great. The Gran Bahia Principe was a nice hotel we were staying in the Coba section which was a bit far away from the beach but C'est la vie.

We were scheduled to dive with Scubaquatics on Thursday in Cozumel (bus to ferry, two tanks dive, ferry back whenever) but we got in late on Wednesday and missed where we were suppose to meet, etc. So we ended up doing a local Akumal dive right from the dive shop basically that ended up just being Ok. The seas were a bit narley, we had 8 divers (3 in our party) on our boat with 3 DM mixed between private and not, our DM (i didn't catch his name) had a bit of an attitude but it was ok. The spot they usually go was already full so we went off to another and it was just so so, I should say for a first ocean dive I was unimpressed minus the sea turtle that almost made up for the rest of it.

After the ocean dive we went and dove two tanks on the two different lines Barbie, and Batcave at Dos Ojos with a DM also from Scubaquatic named Javier or as he liked to go by Pato. He is an amazing person and great guide I would highly recommend him to anyone both for what I saw in skill and responsiveness but also just as a human being.

Dos Ojos was amazing and I would consider going back to Akumal just to dive it again.

Anyway kind of a mixed review on Scubaquatic but a good trip over all.

Safe Diving.

kg.

Informational follow up here..

Just got back from the Bahia Principe Coba. Non diving GF as well. Place is HUGE.
2 ocean(sea) dives and 3 cenote dives with Scubaquatics.

Instructors were all first rate. Shore entries and exits to/from boat. No dock. Dives were good and safe. Lots O' large turtles. Most had remora attached. Very cool.

Dos Ojos was fantastic. Very different from Fla caverns.

Kudos to Instructors Javier, Riley, and Carlos. Great dive briefing from Carlos prior to Dos Ojos.

The service from Scubaquatics was generally excellent. Loved the instructors. There is a front desk rep who could use some customer skills training. Just sayin.

Back
Top Bottom