AL first with Mares second ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A new XR DR will set me back around $185 but way less fun.
That's probably your cheapest route. And then disassemble and reassemble as needed :)

Here's what it will look like after a full dissection:
Screenshot_20221028-104529-130.png

This is from the 2016 German language service manual available at Mares Regulator Service Manuals and Info

The early models had a larger, almost rectangular
exhaust. The old part number was 186028. I think you'd have to scrounge one from a Voltrex or similar.

Top view:
Screenshot_20221028-112610-920.png

I'm in the process of building an unsealed Core/Titan first stage. AL spec an ip of 137-145. Mares spec their second stages to an ip of 142-148 I believe.

Even though it would be at top end of AL spec I'm assuming there'd be no issue using it with a Mares second? Just checking to be sure. Thank you.

(The mares second is just a dream at this juncture, an in my head build)
One thing to consider when using Mares seconds on other first stages is the venturi effect in the first stage. The Mares 1st (MR22T) that goes with the Abyss has a 1/2 " LP port and a peculiar tube leading to that High FLow LP port entrance within the first stage. It is a venturi nozzle within the first stage, that increases flow, if I understand correctly.

So flow rate (and corresponding 2nd stage performance) may be not just a function of IP, but also influenced by the venturi effect and LP port diameter.

I guess it should be fine though, and not as bad as e.g. putting a Poseidon Cyklon that needs 175psi on a conventional 1st stage...

Attachments

• Venturi.JPG
    Venturi.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 42
One thing to consider when using Mares seconds on other first stages is the venturi effect in the first stage. The Mares 1st (MR22T) that goes with the Abyss has a 1/2 " LP port and a peculiar tube leading to that High FLow LP port entrance within the first stage. It is a venturi nozzle within the first stage, that increases flow, if I understand correctly.

So flow rate (and corresponding 2nd stage performance) may be not just a function of IP, but also influenced by the venturi effect and LP port diameter.

I guess it should be fine though, and not as bad as e.g. putting a Poseidon Cyklon that needs 175psi on a conventional 1st stage...
I really wonder how much of a difference that makes. I've got a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter on mine so I can use standard hoses and Mares doesn't use the 1/2" port on their later firsts (nor on the other LP ports on the 22).

Probably only something for the ANSTI machines to measure, not something humans can differentiate, is my guess...

I think I have a Mares V16 1st stage and proton metal in my old gear bag. They were the 1st reg set I bought for open water. I think I also still have the plastic proton 2nd. It was a great reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom