AL63 how do they swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My question is more of "does anyone use an AL 63" for a Pony/Bail out bottle not so much a question of should I. I started a previous thread on a similar topic for AL40 for Redundancy. I have two AL 63's and while it will definitly be more gas than we will need to surface in a situation for recreational dives I don't have to buy tanks or regs just stage kits or make them.
I was wondering how they "swim" in a single tank configuration, I am going to try them out in the pool sometime but wanted to see what others have found.

Thanks

You might notice the 2 inch diameter difference slinging the 63. I am not a fan how a 40 feels slung (I used to use a 19 for recreational use). Since you have the tanks, give it a go and let us know what you find.

EDIT: I tend to remember that the butt end feels a tad floaty also, but that was in OW class.

Subscribed... I've got a buddy who has been trying to sell a 63 for some time, and I've been looking for a cheap pony.

We use AL 63's in our pool training. They are excellent tanks; about -2 full, +2 empty. I haven't used them as a pony/ stage tank; perhaps a bit bulky.

But take your two 63's & dive them as doubles for casual rec/tek dives; Nice!

-2 full, +2 empty.
That's too bad. I try to avoid tanks that swing to positive. OTOH, I haven't been on a dive yet where I would have actually used a pony if I'd had one.. it probably would not matter. I might have been tempted to stay down for an extra few minutes at devil's throat in Cozumel. I know, I KNOW.

19's sound more attractive every day.

That's too bad. I try to avoid tanks that swing to positive.

19's sound more attractive every day.

You can easily attach (ghetto rig) a 2lb weight to the pony bottle to compensate for the + when empty.

Before choosing your Pony size, I would recommend you do some calculations on your average gas consumption and account for emergency breathing stress to determine your best pony size. Better safe than sorry.

I dove a 19 for about 6 months and 120 dives, but I would not go below 100ft diving solo and sipped air.

But take your two 63's & dive them as doubles for casual rec/tek dives; Nice!

GOPR1063.JPG

BINGO!!!!!!
(oh, and on a double hose too :thumb2:)

I love the aluminum 63. Perfect tanks for me for most moderate depths and shore diving. It simply is not a brag that I have the SAC of a cadaver. An 80 is overkill most of the time for me unless the depths are getting beyond 60ish feet or Nitrox is being employed. The 63 is also a wonderful kayak tank. They remind me of the old steel 72 in the water and dive a little more negative overall, or more neutral than the aluminum 80.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom