AL63 how do they swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a "pony" an AL63 is really a dreadful choice though. They would be a good deco bottle if they were longer and smaller diameter. But being short and fat is not very helpful, might as well use an AL80 of 50% in that case. I would look for an al30 or 40 as a "full sized" pony for recreational diving (if that's what the OP is looking for)

I like AL63s for a main tank, as Nemrod mentioned they're probably the closest thing in water to the old LP72s which are excellent to dive with, and easy to lug around on land.

But a 63 cft pony for recreational diving? To me that's absurd. If you're planning a dive that needs that much gas, fine, you're really talking about technical diving at that point. You might as well be doing sidemount doubles.

Used as a pony in the OP's case, +2 buoyancy at empty would be most welcome as he'd be in real trouble...
Yeah, I guess I hadn't thought of it that way. You're right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom