Aladin Tec 2g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubazach

Reaction score
Anyone using this computer - it is fairly new and replaced the TEC. I am looking at this computer and a Vytec

Some features

Aladin TEC 2G

Aladin TEC 2G is an easy to use two-gas computer offering a predictive multi-gas algorithm (PMG). The new Aladin TEC 2G combines this sophisticated algorithm with the compact size and accessibility of the Aladin line. Aladin TEC 2G will replace Aladin TEC, adding new features and capabilities, you can still find out about Aladin TEC here

ALGORITHM

Bühlmann ZH-L8 ADT MB PMG (Adaptive Microbubble Predictive Multi-Gas)
Aladin TEC 2G predictive multi-gas algorithm performs its decompression calculation taking into account all planned gas switches throughout the dive. This means that the decompression schedule shown on the display gives you the actual total time of ascent. In the background however the algorithm also calculates the decompression schedule for the currently active gas only, so that if you fail to switch to the “deco gas” at the planned depth, the computer can quickly revert to this calculation. You can look up the active gas calculation at any time at the press of a button.

NITROX

Nitrox compatibility 21-100%
Oxygen concentration in 1% increments and diver adjustable partial pressure of oxygen (ppO2) 1.0 to 1.6bar

Hi Scubazach,

I can't answer your question exactly, but perhaps I can help a bit.

I dive a Uwatec (aladin) Smart Pro - a wrist style dive computer with nearly the same specs as the Tec2g (the smart pro was an older model that is no longer made and has, in some senses, been replaced by the 2g. I say 'in some senses' because the tec and now the tec2g are puck-sized while the smart pro had the larger rectangular face. Both use essentially the same data layout on-screen, tho).

Per the specs you listed:

The Buhlmann algrorithm is one of the industry standards. Not to bore you to death :) but basically all dive computers use one of a very small number of algorithms that attempt to predict tissue/gas interactions in human beings. (I'm oversimplifyng, but the long version would take forever). These basic algortithms are often then 'tweaked' in various ways to create (allegedly) more accuracy or extensability (to more circumstances), etc.

Bottom line is, the buhlmann is tried and, to the extent that any of these algorithms can be said to be - true. Algorithm-wise, here's what matters to me: the 'microbubble' fucntionality that uwatec has created. In theory, the idea is that suppression of microbubbles creates safer dives in that microbubbles preceed nasty dangerous larger bubbles (again, oversimplified). In PRACTICE what this means is: you get to choose the degree of conservatism for any given dive. This is an advantage over many other computers, including the vytec, which have either fixed or sharply limited degree of control over how the conservative the computer will respond to your dive.

Bottom line: I prefer this flexibility, it is one difference between the uwatec and the vytec. I find that the smart pro gives me longer bottom times (note that Suunto is notoriously conservative. This isn't a bad thing at all - just a different approach), with the ability to adjust the conservatism in the way that I want. Beyond that, both of these computers (tec2g, vytec) are so sophisticated, with so many options, that it's pretty hard to say which is 'better' for any given diver until you get a sense of how you'll be diving!

Next, regarding the nitrox capabilities, I wouldn't say there's any appreciative difference between the two. Some earlier dive computers limited nitrox mixes to 2 percent increments; both the computers you're looking at allow 1 percent increments. As far as 21 - 100%, well, I often see that in the uwatec literature, but have you ever seen anyone use a nitrox mix over, say, 50%? The general mixes are 31/32, and 35/36. Unless you're doing really techy diving, high nitrox mixes are pretty uncommon.

The truth is, you're looking at two very good computers, sort of comparing a mercedes with a bmw. I looked at both myself, tried them both, chose the uwatec. (tho I somewhat preferred the data layout on the vytec). The two reasons I chose the uwatec were:
1) That the conservatism of the computer's behavior was easily adjustable via microbubble suppression
2) the infra-red data download. You didn't mention this, but I find uwatec's infrared data download to be surperb: no extra cable, bullet proof. I even download my dives onto my phone during my surface intervel! Gives me a graphic view of the dive, and all the data that I would ever want. I keep my log digitally, and the logging software that uwatec provide is quite good.

But let's move to some questions back to you! Why are u comparing a tec2g with a vytec? To me, the striking differences is the a) vytec is hoseles ai, and b) tec2g can be had for almost 2 bills less than the vytec sans transmitter, and about 5 bills less than the vytec package. Did you mean the vyper, as opposed to the vytec? Just wondering!

Anyway, I find that suunto owners are some of the most loyal and most appreciative of their product. Holding them in my hands, I almost always prefer the suunto product over the uwatec. Diving them, I seem to prefer the uwatec. I guess one way to put is this: I like suunto's hardware, but I prefer uwatec's software!

Do either of you know where the aladin tec2g is available online yet (they aren't on LeisurePro's website yet)? Any search I do has them for sale overseas? My LDS can get them for MSRP, but I'm looking to save a little money as I have given the ma enough cash over the last 6 months for tec gear.

I would like this computer for my recreational diving and to double as a bottom timer for tech stuff.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I am using a Tec2G which was supplied as a replacement for my dead Aladin Tec. After around 30 dives on the 2G, it appears that it is another faulty unit. Uwatec has been having some reliability problems with their Aladin Tec and Prime. It is understood that the Tec2G is supposed to be more stable but not sure it's the case............................just something you might check out.

But the computer is pretty easy to you though.

dyarab:
Do either of you know where the aladin tec2g is available online yet (they aren't on LeisurePro's website yet)? Any search I do has them for sale overseas? My LDS can get them for MSRP, but I'm looking to save a little money as I have given the ma enough cash over the last 6 months for tec gear.

I would like this computer for my recreational diving and to double as a bottom timer for tech stuff.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dyarab, scubapro is one company that really limits the amount of a deal that your dive shop can offer you. See if you need to purchase any other dive gear, go back to your shop, and see if you buy the Tec2g if the shop will give you a good deal on some other product.

I am using a Tec2G which was just bought as a replacement of previous SUUNTO Mosquito after long time comparison since Tec2G can be shut down ( Might say deep power down ) to save the battery power but SUUNTO can't . It's looks nice & more features than Mosquito . Currently it's on promotion inHK , the price is around HKD2700 by cash ( around USD350 ) . You can get the computer feature comparison at below URL:
http://scubaproasiapacific.com/cgi-bin/prod_image/k_39_i1.pdf

rgds

steven

Back
Top Bottom