Alcohol and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to Mexico for a week. I will be diving for a few of those days. After I get back to the resort, I would like to relax.
I have heard drinking and diving does not mix.

What does drinking alcohol after diving do to the body? What dangers are there?

I suspect it's more the mental impairment, just like when driving.

It does the same thing to your body if you didn't dive before hand, gets you buzzed:cheers::drunks: just drink a lot of water and don't dive drunk.

I have no way to medically verify this, only personal experience. Several years ago after we were first certified, I took my wife and daughters to Cozumel for a cruise dive. We booked our own boat and had an amazing 2 tank dive with plenty of time for shopping before we had to be back on the ship. My oldest had just turned 21 so they went to Señor Frogs while I hauled the gear back to the boat. I caught up with them and had a margarita and a beer. Over a 2 hour period I had maybe 4 drinks and was surprised that I felt them like I did. We both cut ourselves off when we felt it coming. There was definately a difference. My wife felt the same way. My poor daughter was hammered....but not until we got back to the boat then it hit her like a freight train. None of us had enough to drink for the level of intoxication we felt. Then...just like that it was gone with no hangover or after effects....not even my daughter.

Maybe we were nitrogen loaded and still off gassing...I don't know. Maybe our bodies were adjusting the the effects of our first post certification dives. We went to a max of about 80 feet for about 1 hour dives.

We knew not to drink before a dive, did not know anything about afterwards. I always have a beer as soon as possible after my last dive. It just tastes better and clears the crap in my throat. ( that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) We have not had an experience like the first dive since and we usually stop at our favorite bar for lunch after diving in Cozumel. A couple of beers or three and go on with the rest of our day.

So....my advice would be to take it easy until you know how it will effect you. Also keep in mind that there is a correlation between dehydration and DCS so make sure you drink lots of water as well. I also would make sure you don't dive with a hangover...even rec dives require focus.

If you drink beer, (don't all Canucks drink beer and say "ay" a lot?...just kidding lol) look for Bohemia Obscura. It's amazing and only available in Mexico. You can thank me later. I'll be enjoying one....or 5 Thursday night! I'll drink one for you....Ay!

Safe travels,
Jay

There is a saying, "the first drink of the day means your last dive of the day". When on holidays, I have perhaps 2 or 3 beers in the evening, always taking it easy. Those beers seem to be the best I ever have, despite the quality of the beer sometimes.

Beer after diving is great just don't get dehydrated so beers and water. If you are heavily loaded with nitrogen is in after deco diving then extra water then a beer or two then more water.

I have no way to medically verify this, only personal experience. Several years ago after we were first certified, I took my wife and daughters to Cozumel for a cruise dive. We booked our own boat and had an amazing 2 tank dive with plenty of time for shopping before we had to be back on the ship. My oldest had just turned 21 so they went to Señor Frogs while I hauled the gear back to the boat. I caught up with them and had a margarita and a beer. Over a 2 hour period I had maybe 4 drinks and was surprised that I felt them like I did. We both cut ourselves off when we felt it coming. There was definately a difference. My wife felt the same way. My poor daughter was hammered....but not until we got back to the boat then it hit her like a freight train. None of us had enough to drink for the level of intoxication we felt. Then...just like that it was gone with no hangover or after effects....not even my daughter.
Jay
LOL there is a reason why that place smells like both urine and vomit all at the same time. I would stick to beer when frequenting tourist traps like that one.... They are very heavy handed with the alcohol in Cozumel.

You will be fine having a drink after you dive. I will always have a nice cold beer after the last dive and a possibly a glass of wine with dinner. My rule is to drink a glass of water after every drink. Have fun!!

Just got home from the Pub after diving Horseshoe, Cedral, The Gardens and then 75 minutes of Yucab, I call it a Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom