Aliwal Shoal - South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frenchiegirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
we are planning a trip to South Africa in Frebuary and will be near Durban and the famous Aliwal Shoal.

Did anyone dive there recently ? What kind of dives are we to expect and what kind of fish is there to be seen at that time of the year ?

Thanks for your help

I dive there almost every weekend, although I'm kicking myself for not diving last weekend.

Here's a report from one of the divers that went.

"Sunday we dived Umkommas (Aliwal Shoal) at 08:00. Weather wise it was overcast with a temperature of 24 degrees. Sea conditions were fine with a bit of a swell, with a mild bottom current (South – North) pulling inshore at times, water temperature 24 degrees with a visibility + 30m.

Marine life on the dive we had Giant moray eel, Mantas, huge Potato bass, all types of morays, Turtle, Paperfish, schools of Kingfish and Batfish, just to name a few.

Our dive plan was from South Sands along the outside Pinnacle ridge to the end of the Northern Pinnacles.

This was a dream of a dive, just when you think you had the best of the best; here comes an even better one to blow your mind into deep space."

Here's some info on the dive sites:

Aliwal Shoal SCUBA Diving Guide

Hope that helps

Rob

thanks for the information

These are the fish you will see February
Hammerheads
Nesting turtles
Whale sharks
Zambesi sharks
Tiger sharks
Mantas
Turtles
Rays
Pelagic fish
Tropical fish
Eels
If you need any other other help please contact me I am in the area
john@guinjatabay.co.za

wow, this sounds like great dives to be made.

Thanks I am gonna dream about it till I get there :wink:

what canyou tell me about the diveshops around there ?

We wil be staying at the Seaforever, do you know the place ?

What are you looking to buy, Seaforever is excelent

sorry I made a mistake, I meant dive centers not dive shops :shakehead:

apparently there is a dive center at the Seaforever, have you any feedback on that.

I know that we will be making 2 dives a day, do you know if they are usually 2 morning dives, with a short break in between or is it 1 morning and 1 afternoon dive ? I'd rather 2 morning dives that way we have the rest of the day to visit the area

Sorry to bother you with all my questions :D

I usually dive with Oceans Alive :: Oceans Alive Diving - Aliwal Shoal, South Africa - Welcome ::.

At the moment, as far as dives go (in general, not just with the above mentioned charter), launches start around 6:00 AM and there are up to 4 launches a day, depending on conditions. Launches take place every 2 hours. So you can do two dives a day, or you could also ask for a double tank launch, where you don't come back to shore after the first dive.

Rob

Hi Frenchiegirl
Spoke to Gary who owns Seaforever both dives are in the morning as the wind often comes up in the afternoon,they do have a dive centre and it is pretty good.
If you need any more help please contact me it is a pleasure to be of assistance

thank you both for your help.

It is great that the both dives are in the morning, that way we will be able to visit in the afternoons.

the trip has been booked and we whould be there Feb 26 to March 4.

eagerly looking forward to be there

Back
Top Bottom