All about Halcyon wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 36lb is perfectly fine for warm water use if you already have it. You just won't need all of the capacity. No need to spend more money!

What change do you make Fred.

I am diving dry up here now with stainless STA, Eclipse 40lb and 6 lb stainless plate.

Going to Mexico in January and I was hoping this would still be a suitable configuration.

Any better suggestions?

The 36 works beautifully in both warm and cold water, drysuit and wetsuit.

cheers

r

This information will make Fair Wife much happier. I'd try and explain the bouyancy charachteristics of the SSBP versus the aluminum (aluminium for our friends on the other side of the pond) but it would fall on deaf ears.

Thanks Fred for the quick reply, expect an order for a finished standard aluminum BP and strap set and maybe a few other FredT extras sometime after I get home from work this a.m..

Diving in a T-shirt and shorts? I cant wait to try that!!!!!

Wind

d33ps1x once bubbled...
What change do you make Fred.

I am diving dry up here now with stainless STA, Eclipse 40lb and 6 lb stainless plate.

Going to Mexico in January and I was hoping this would still be a suitable configuration.

Any better suggestions?

My rig:

T-shirt and shorts-3mil wet:
Al plate, light STA

5 to 7 mil
11 gauge Stainless, light STA for 5mil or heavy STA for 7mil

Dry
9 or 12 pound plate, heavy STA, depending on underwear.

In all cases I can vary ballast up to 4 pounds by changing tank style.

OTOH I have a plethera of parts. :D

FT

I had the same question before taking a trip to Bonaire recently. I considered buying a #27 but quickly eliminated that option since its an unecessary expense. I just opted to use my #36 and it was still perfect. Instead of purchasing a new wing I used the $ to get a "warm water" set - a FredT Al, weighted STA, and harness w/ rings. I was very pleased with it. I will probably get Freds 12lb SS plate for next season. The combo worked out great as it totally eliminated my need for lead. Have fun!

Not sure if this should be here or DIR but here goes ?

I am told that the Halcyon wing doesn't attach to the backplate ? That it just kind of sandwiches between plate and tanks ?

Is that right ?

Seems odd if it is.

Can anyone enlighten me ?

Many thanks

Hoppy

Back
Top Bottom