almost died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec Diver:
when you started having a problem you should have started up immediately, not wait around until you could no longer hold your breath. Had you done this you would have reacehd the surface long before you would have reached you regulator.

Actually, I believe in o/w one of the things instructors are looking for is that you can solve your problems underwater, NOT bolt for the surface. Ideally calmly and gently blowing bubbles... You should have more than enough time to solve the problem if you're not panicing.

6ft deep or less???? I better be careful not to push off on the bottom of my pool and shoot to the surface. Now I'm worried about DCS, Subcutaneous Emphasema, and Embolisms in the back yard (lol)

If you're breathing compressed air in the pool, you should be aware that it is possible. If you're not breathing compressed air, well...

gasdvr:
6ft deep or less???? I better be careful not to push off on the bottom of my pool and shoot to the surface. Now I'm worried about DCS, Subcutaneous Emphasema, and Embolisms in the back yard (lol)

ReefGuy:
If you're breathing compressed air in the pool, you should be aware that it is possible. If you're not breathing compressed air, well...

Exactly............I think a lot of folks were sleeping in their OW classes.
Kinda scary.

Don't confuse DCS/getting bent, with an embolism. You bet your arss you can cause an embolism in your damn pool (as long as it is over 3ft deep).

Likely...? Maybe not. Go give it a try (start with a nice big deep breathe and hold that puppy), and let us know how it turns out for ya. Hurts don't it.... lol. :p

Rec Diver:
... when you started having a problem you should have started up immediately, not wait around until you could no longer hold your breath. Had you done this you would have reacehd the surface long before you would have reached you regulator. Remeber you were at 15 feet, not a 115 feet. I would suggest you retake all of your open water class over, you aparently did not learn from it the first time.

I would think that at 15 feet it would be better to try to take care of the problem underwater, therefore if you do run out of air, you can surface.. That way, when/if it does happen at 115, you have that much more practice/experience handling the problem.

Again, only true if you're breathing compressed air.

BlueDolphin:
Don't confuse DCS/getting bent, with an embolism. You bet your arss you can cause an embolism in your damn pool (as long as it is over 3ft deep).

Likely...? Maybe not. Go give it a try (start with a nice big deep breathe and hold that puppy), and let us know how it turns out for ya. Hurts don't it.... lol. :p

Another bad rap for solo diving! IMHO, The first thing that went wrong, was situational awareness. HOW,, did you become entangled? You were'nt paying attention, slacked a line, instant trouble. You should'nt even have considered a solo without the proper rig, training, and most imporantly EXPERIENCE. And not to be a hard *****, you need to stick to pool depth, and drill your but off until you can sweep that reg back in your sleep, or remember you have an occto, that I assume you check, and USE on a regular basis. A pony, redundant system is only good if you remember its there, AND, you have practice in getting it deployed. Im also a little concerned over your question on DCS, 15 feet?? The only real danger(s) were drowning (panic) or embolism (panic) Both of which are relitavely undesireable. I see by your bio, that you seem to have enough dives under your belt that this shuld never have happened to you. Nothing will hunt you down and kill you faster than panic, while you will never eliminate it, you can keep it at bay by having automatic responces to situations that may arise. Work on them.

Ayisha:
Actually, I believe in o/w one of the things instructors are looking for is that you can solve your problems underwater, NOT bolt for the surface. Ideally calmly and gently blowing bubbles... You should have more than enough time to solve the problem if you're not panicing.

In an out of air situation, how long would it take to grow gills?

JRScuba:
Yep you guessed it. Diving SOLO is not a good thing. Diving solo with minimal EXPERIENCE is a real bad thing....

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto...get a buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom