Alright, here it is, Me being bitten by an eel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's always funny to watch..

had an eel snap at my camera lens once..
and just recently.. one took a thin piece of leather out of the side of my glove =O
'was taking a picture of a lobster and didn't notice how close the eel was in the adjacent puka..

maybe we should both buy new (thicker) gloves!

that's always funny to watch..

had an eel snap at my camera lens once..
and just recently.. one took a thin piece of leather out of the side of my glove =O
'was taking a picture of a lobster and didn't notice how close the eel was in the adjacent puka..

maybe we should both buy new (thicker) gloves!

I have been grabbing lobster out of holes for years against the best advice from other divers. This past Sunday I grabbed for one back in dark hole and felt movement than the lobster and quickly abandoned the mission. When on the boat telling my story I noticed one of my leather glove fingers partially shreaded. Never again! Anyone know if kelvar gloves would be a defence against this and hold up underwater?

That first "related video" is a real bummer.

What I was told by a friend who manages shop is that the Kevlar is worse than the suede against small punctures (urchins, teeth, etc).

I'll verify this from experience - had a job for 2 years where I needed to pick up urchins so I figured I'd use my kevlar gloves ... spines went right thru the thick mesh and got 3 spines in my hand :S - eventually I switched to basic reef gloves and they worked well ... for a few months, then I finally used bare hands - the only thing that ever worked 100% were salad tongs but the kevlar were worse than bare hands :wink:

Good for abrasion, bad for punctured IMO.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. This is still my favorite scuba related video by far - I show it to all my students and lots of non-diving friends as well ... sorry for the pain Tom, but thanks for the many laughs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom