Alternative recommendations for G. Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We had planned on diving there next June. From what I've read, the re-build will be slow due to a small pool of skilled construction workers.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that has great diving and also good beaches/shopping, etc. for several people that will not dive?

Thanks, Beck

Beck a great alternative is Cozumel... They do have a beach at The Fiesta Americana where Ann-Marie and I stayed numerous times. Great shopping in town as well... Also they have some great ruins and botanical gardens...

divebomb:
We had planned on diving there next June. From what I've read, the re-build will be slow due to a small pool of skilled construction workers.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that has great diving and also good beaches/shopping, etc. for several people that will not dive?

Thanks, Beck

I'm considering Cayman Brac, in late November which based on web reports sustained little structural damage.Plans are to return to "normal as soon as flights resume. Just not sure how I feel about visiting Brac while so much devastation has occurred next door on GC. On the other hand they, I'm sure, would not want to discourage any tourism opps on the sister islands. Its just that a holiday surrounded by the emotion of Ivan's aftermath is something I'm struggling with.

Although a little farther, have you considered a combination of Sint Maarten/Sain Martin and Saba???? the beaches on Saint Martin are incredible and the diving in Saba is nothing short of fabulous. For those who want shopping the duty free in Sint Marten/Saint Marten is really great, not to mention the food OMG French cuisine on one side and lots of Indonesian restaurants on the other, with most everything in between!!!!

Cayman Brac would be an incredible place to dive, but I am not sure about the 'shopping experience'.

Maria

sharkdiver00:
Although a little farther, have you considered a combination of Sint Maarten/Sain Martin and Saba???? the beaches on Saint Martin are incredible and the diving in Saba is nothing short of fabulous. For those who want shopping the duty free in Sint Marten/Saint Marten is really great, not to mention the food OMG French cuisine on one side and lots of Indonesian restaurants on the other, with most everything in between!!!!

Cayman Brac would be an incredible place to dive, but I am not sure about the 'shopping experience'.

Maria

With regard to St. Martin, do you stay on St. Martin and then dive the waters of Saba each day by boat? If so, is it better to stay on the Dutch or French part of St. Martin?

I usually spend half the time in Saint Maarten and half in Saba. You can either fly (very short fy) to Saba, or take a boat accross and make it a fun thing on a catamaran. Saba has no beaches, but the diving is really, really nice (deep) pinnacles.

The best beaches are most definitely in the French side, but I really like the food on the Dutch side. By the way, there is no border between the two, only a friendly policeman that does not even bother to stop your car :)

sharkdiver00:
I usually spend half the time in Saint Maarten and half in Saba. You can either fly (very short fy) to Saba, or take a boat accross and make it a fun thing on a catamaran. Saba has no beaches, but the diving is really, really nice (deep) pinnacles.

The best beaches are most definitely in the French side, but I really like the food on the Dutch side. By the way, there is no border between the two, only a friendly policeman that does not even bother to stop your car :)
I hate to be negative, but do have a minority opinion here about St. Maartin. A few years back my wife and I spent a week diving in Bonaire, then came back via a week on St. Maartin. Perhapts it was that juxtaposition of Bonaire with St. Maartin that colored our views, but nevertheless we thought the place was horrible and would never go back again. The traffic was horrendous, and we spent many hours stuck in traffic jams. There was obviously a big immigration problem with illegals from Haiti, and we were warned repeatedly about the crime problems on both sides of the island. On the French side, the restaurants were grossly overpriced. The Dutch side was interesting, but everything was very commercialized. It felt as if the whole island was being turned into one giant timeshare. The only high point came after we endured a two-hour pitch for a timeshare and won our prize of a boat trip to Saba. We did enjoy the diving on Saba and then touring around the island. In contrast, I don't recall a single thing about the diving off St. Maartin; it was quite unremarkable.

Cozumel if you want larger more established hotels and shopping, or San Predro (ambergris) in Belize if you want the more barefoot experience, small hotels, golf carts instead of cars etc.

divebomb:

Beck, don't give up so quick on G.C. Depending on where you were intended to stay, a few resorts that I know of are planning to be operational by December. Sunset House and Turtle Nest Inn to name a couple. Our trip to Sunset House in February is still on. In fact, S.H. is 95% occupied by staff & family at this time. Their restaurant is open for business.

G.C. needs our tourism dollars, don't totally count them out.
Sheila

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom