Aluminum BP in the tropics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Due to ever increasing airline weight restrictions, I use an Ali plate, Ali STA and Ali cam bands. I wear a 5mm in the tropics and put 2 kgs in trim weight pockets on top cam band and 2kg on a belt. In part I agree with parzdiver but in the end every kg adds up. I also use lightweight fins, takke only small lights, a small SMB, delrin spool. I take nothing dive related that is not absolutely needed. Together with clothing etc my bag weighs in at around 35lbs.

My luggage is so overweight that 4 lbs doesn't make a difference :wink:.

Anyway, with a 3 MM (and x-shorts) in tropic waters, with no can light, regardless of fins*, all I need for weight is a SS BP. I can run the tank down to less than 500 PSI with no need for additional lead although I did start out with 4 lbs in trim pockets before I was sure of this. (For clarification... I only ran the tank down while hanging under the boat or on 15-20 ft reefs). Just realized my avatar is a picture of the last time I was diving this way!

Of course YMMV - I just really like all the weight on my back.

*usually wear jetfins but I switched fins with a fellow traveler so they couldtry mine the last time I was diving this configuration and fin weight made no difference either.

If you are diving al 80's at your destination I suspect you will appreciate a steel plate.

If you are diving al 80's at your destination I suspect you will appreciate a steel plate.

Agree.

I tend to go on diving safaris i.e. travel around a country diving 4-5 weeks, where I have to carry my bag everywhere and even 35lbs starts to get heavy after you've been carrying it for a while. If I was going to a single dive destination e.g airport, transfer, resort Id be more inclined to take my steel plate. I also like the decadence/fiscal stupidity of having two complete sets of dive gear. I like buying dive gear almost as much as I like diving.

it depends on the exposure required and how the feels with adding weigth on belts or not.
I second the motion on saving 4lbs as i always carry too much stuff. But it depends on people apparently.

With a 3mm wetsuit or less, I actually prefer to use an AL plate with aan AL tanks, and adjust with weigth, either on the side of the harness on pocket, on the tank itself, or using a belt.

Tropical diving
3mm shorty wet suit
Aluminum backplate
8 pounds in cam bands
No weight belt

If I am wearing a 3 wet suit instead of a shorty, I wear an additional 2 pounds on a weight belt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom