Am I a Dork Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It needs a diagonal white stripe through it!!!

Is this better?

DDDuct.jpg

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

It is kinda dorky. Cool

First, let me ask... WHERE, oh, WHERE did you find the Dork Tape? (The plain kind is fine, of course.)

Okay, I *very* rarely cross-post, but... does the fact I just drew up a bunch of graphs in a thread in "Basic" get me any DD style points? (I'd just post the graphs, but they wouldn't make much sense by themselves, so I'll excerpt the post.)

As we can easily see just by looking at the situation (or perusing this thread, if we're in a rush), there is no set tipping point where enjoyment starts to go downhill for every person. For some of us, just enough safety to make survival likely is the limit. For others, only when safety is taken to ridiculous levels does it become meddlesome.

I did some quick illustrations to show a few personality types. The vertical axis of the graphs is "enjoyment", while the horizontal axis is "safety". These are just qualitative examples, of course. Real people tend to be more complex than such simple two-dimensional text art. Anyway...

[C]|....................
|____________________
+--------------------
"Oblivious"[/C]

This first response curve is most commonly seen in some new poorly-trained OW divers. They are oblivious to the dangers involved in diving, and so, their enjoyment is basically constant across all values of safety. Being new, their enjoyment level is natually high.

[C]|....................
|...____.............
|../....\............
|./......\__.........
|/..........\__......
|..............\__...
|.................\__
+--------------------
"Normal"[/C]

A "normal" person starts out with a moderate level of enjoyment (tempered somewhat by the unease a lack of adequate perceived safety might cause). Adding a little safety quickly brings them to a plateau, where any small increases or decreases in safety make negligible difference to their enjoyment. When more safety is added, however, it eventually becomes cumbersome (too much gear, too many procedures, et cetera), and their enjoyment diminishes.

[C]|\...................
|.\..................
|..\.................
|...\................
|....\...............
|.....\..............
|......\_____________
+--------------------
"Reckless Adrenaline Junkie"[/C]

A reckless adrenaline junkie starts off with extremely high enjoyment levels, but any added safety measures quickly get in the way of the rush. A level of safety that a "normal" person might appreciate could be immensely unpalatable to them. (This response curve is not usually found in its pure form, but is often blended with other response curves in real people.)

[C]|...........___......
|........._/...\.....
|......._/......\....
|....._/.........\...
|..._/............\..
|._/...............\.
|/..................\
+--------------------
"Safety Conscious"[/C]

A "safety conscious" person finds little enjoyment without safety. At the safety level at which a "normal" person's enjoyment plateaus, this person's enjoyment level is still increasing. By the point in safety at which this person's enjoyment level peaks, even a normal person may find things burdensome.

The "safety conscious" diver might be perfectly happy carrying redundant *everything* (pony or doubles, two or three lights, two or three cutting tools, drysuit or lift bag, two masks, and so on), while the "normal" diver might think that's crazy and simply be wondering whether to go with an integrated octoflator. The "reckless adrenaline junkie", meanwhile, might be upset by a boat requiring an SPG, and the "oblivious" divers... well... someone might want to remind them to put their fins on before that giant stride, but they do seem to enjoy themselves. :D

(Anyone who spends that much effort on evaluative analysis of enjoyment levels has *got* to be a full-on DD, eh? :biggrin:)

I don't know ClayJar,

Did you write it in BASIC or QBASIC? :wink:

Dude, I KNOW you are a Dork at heart! :dork2: I would say you are definitely in the club! :lotsalove:

And by the way, your analysis report is great! I love it!

Buck

Just remembering that there is such a thing as QBASIC qualifies someone as a dork.

Okay, I *very* rarely cross-post, but... snipped ............................................................................................................ snipped.

(Anyone who spends that much effort on evaluative analysis of enjoyment levels has *got* to be a full-on DD, eh? :biggrin:)

This is wonderful!
This is a piece of art!

I_AM
:dork2:

Although I would've loved to use Level II BASIC on my TRS-80 Model III (or Enhanced Color Basic on my TRS-80 CoCo2), and even QBasic from my old MS-DOS disks would have been nice, I must admit that I just fired up trusty old Notepad and typed it in by hand. Then I hand colored it, too.

(Sometimes, you just have to get your hands dirty with the art. Plus, it was easier than writing a renderer and then developing actual mathematical models for the four cases. If it were higher res, I could've used the aa library or one of its descendants, but for such low res, hand-painting just gives better results. :biggrin:)

Incidentally, it didn't even gather *ONE* comment on the poor thread it was created for. The NDDs there were too busy trolling against each other to enjoy a little ray of ASCII sunshine. Oh, well. :)

I need some expert advice? Am I a Dork Diver, or just a Dork?
I remember a thread where someone asked when they would know that they would be ready to solo dive. The prime response was "if you have to ask, you are not ready."

If you have to ask, you are not a Dork Diver. Then again, the only difference between a Dork Diver and a Dork is that a Dork does not dive. Or can you be a Dork and still dive, but not be a Dork Diver.

My brain hurts just thinking of the possibilities. I could have been diving with other Dork Divers when I thought they were just Dorks. Oh, the shame of it.

Back
Top Bottom