Am I dillusional?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are that hooked then put your entrepreneurialism to work and embark on a treasure hunting project. not only do you get lots of diving in but you can do it in clear water if you choose. i recall reading this article a few months ago about a guy who went to the phillipines, befriended the local fishermen and learned of the numerous ancient chinese wrecks in their waters. the fishermen knew their locations because they attract the fish. he dove these wrecks for 5 years and managed to keep quiet about it. as of the time of the article he was getting ready to auction his finds of at christy's i believe. they estimated the worth of the loot upwards of $20mil. so if you do some research on sunken treasures, raise some money for an expedition and assemble a capable team you could give it a try.
the other option that combines frequent diving with making a living and the occasional thrill of alligator encounters is diving golf courses to recover balls. apparently it pays significantly better than jobs in the recreational dive industry and you are your own boss. of course, if you really contemplated dropping your current life for that line of work you might want to look into getting some professional help. and i am not talking about a dive professional.

docmartin once bubbled...
if you are that hooked then put your entrepreneurialism to work and embark on a treasure hunting project.

It could be cool to try to get some part time adventure in your life without quitting your full time job. Let me start with the disclaimer that this is just a quick sketch of an idea for some fun. I have no illusions about the chances of actually finding anything.

So we get a group together who want to dedicate some of their free time to doing research. There is enough historical information out there to make this first part of the plan take a couple of years. The criteria could be an area that's warm, remote and within reasonable sport depths. There should be some evidence of the possibility of a wreck in the vicinity.

Part two is get together and charter a dive boat, make travel arrangements and get a bunch of gear together. It won't be cheap, but maybe not too much more than a regular dive vacation will be. We'd be sleeping and eating on the boat, instead of an expensive hotel. Then dive dive dive! Even if we don't find a thing, the adventure factor alone would make it much more exiting than yet another Club Med vacation. It would be something to remember for a lifetime.

On the (very) odd chance we do find something, even better. It's not like we need to do the salvage ourselves. A good piece of hard evidence could get us a finders fee + percentage. It would be like playing Lotto in Palau, instead of the local store :D

Anyway, just an idea from a guy hopelessly trapped in a cubicle right now.

seajay
I hear you loud and clear
I am been in biz since 16 years old ,no in mid 40 years
I would love to quite ,travel and dive
so I put this ? to you if you won the lotto say 10-20 mil
could you wake up every morning with nothing to do
and be contended ?
in my biz there are times of the year when I am so busy
then there is 4 months of the year when there is nothing to do
so I head to fla and play golf , but I will tell you the first month the stress is gone you feel great by the last month with money short you feel the need to get back in the saddle and go big guns
truthfully I belive you are the type of person that needs constant change , your family is close and you feel the need to help
take a few months off and you will see my point

I just applied as an Aquarist at the Mall of America's Underwater Adventures!!!

I get to dive all day long. There are some down sides: The water is only 14 feet deep, I have to clean up after the messy animals, and I have to act like I enjoy teaching the young gansta punks about our beloved oceans.

But I get to dive with Sand Tigers and sea turtles and get paid for it.....it's as close to perfection as life gets.

I'll save a fortune in not needing to go on long, expensive dive vacations. And my wife will get to travel somewhere other than Bonaire, Cozumel or Monterey California.

I know that saying is a cliche but read it.. read it again and then read it a third time... its the only answer anyone needs!

I know i am younger compared to some people on this board, but i can see myself in 10 years in a rut if i dont keep my 'young at heart' attitude... and i think a lot of older people lose that sense of rationale... really what is the worst thing that could happen if you took a year out to be a diving instructor in some place you've always loved to go and live? You hate the instability and the pay is sh*t and decide to return to your old life... and what have you acheived? you have gone in search of a dream and fed your curiosity. If you do it and hate it big wow, its only a year, and here's another cliche...

'better to regret something you have done than regret something you havent done'

My brother got himself into a really terrible situation in 2001... he spent nearly two years dreaming of being anywhere else but where he was.. then in January this yr he asked himself... 'what the hell is stopping me'... he is now living in Bermuda, working by day and surfing/wake boarding/diving/partying by night! He's a computer Geek to by-the-way Omicron... i think there is something about you guys.. dunno what it is but i have a sneeky feeling u guys are the least geekish of us all!!! (the networkers anyways!)

Go for it, chase after your dreams!!!

Victoria - I'm tempted some day's :) I've done something like it before...took off to europe for a year to live in germany as an exchange student, the summer after that I had enough money saved to leave again for the summer and just tour, pick up a few languages, have fun...I still have a pretty bad wanderlust...some days I find myself just wanting to go off on another lifetime adventure. And I firmly believe in that saying about the things you regret :)

s7595 - if I won the lottery, I've come up with a really fun game I could play. I'd get a map of the world on my wall, and I would have SOOOOO much fun putting pins in all the places that I've gone :D

jviehe once bubbled...
In addition you get to contribute to whacking some terrorists, and maybe even canadians someday!

C'mon dude..... you don't even know it, but your days are numbered

Attack on the U.S.A.

And don't let anyone in on our little secret, but I heard this was part of the plan as well....

Secret Weapon

:) :) :)

SS

:D

I just forwarded those links to my mom and stepdad (he's Canadian)...

They live in Kingsville (just southeast of Windsor).

SeaJay once bubbled...
Yikes.

Doesn't the diver have a choice about their deco times? Wouldn't their nerve damage be due to their own choices?.

Yea! Both said it was their own fault. Both fell into the time is money trap from what I gathered and let employers push the envelope a bit to far when they knew better.

Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom