Am I missing something?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that is for me, I am really only wondering about the 2.5% of total body weight equaling the fresh versus salt thing. Does that really work for some, regardless of the exposure protection etc?

I know it won't work for me because I don't use weight the very few times I am in fresh water, so this is all news to me. All my weight checks for me and students are done at the end of the dive on an "empty" tank at a safety stop. But then again we start in the ocean, so it's all figured out there.

The 2.5% should only be applied to a total system that is neutrally buoyant at the desired depth in fresh water. You cannot get close by weighing an object like a cube of Styrofoam and adding 2.5% of the weight to get it buoyant in salt water. Conversely, you cannot do it to a hunk of lead either. If you apply it to a diver with all of his gear on, that already has his weights correct for fresh water at the desired depth, you should be able to add 2.5% of his total weight including gear, and be very close for salt water.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom