Am I overweight with this config?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@mulla: To clarify my previous post, if you were doing your weight check at the beginning of a dive with a full tank and not adjusting your ballast for the air in the tank, I'd expect you to feel too light at the end of the dive.

Being properly weighted is basic scuba 101. Unfortunately, most OW instructors don't spend enough time during class explaining how to do it properly. There are a few different techniques, but the objective is the same -- carry the minimum amount of ballast to be able to hold a shallow stop with a nearly empty tank at the end of a dive.
When I was getting certified, we did a weight check before and after every class dive. I didn't have to ask anybody whether I was adequately weighted. I tested it out myself.

Feel free to practice all of the other OW skills whenever you get the chance.

FWIW, proper weighting in a drysuit has the added variable of the amount of gas inside your drysuit which is needed to counteract squeeze and fluff up your undergarment insulation material to help you stay warm. Be aware of this when you conduct your weight check.

BTW, don't feel bad about "holding up" the rest of the boat while doing a weight check. Experienced divers know that being properly weighted is a safety issue. Just make sure that you discuss your desire to do a weight check with your buddy and the DM or captain in advance. I've done them just off of the swimstep at the back of the boat on several occasions, although I wouldn't recommend performing one on a boat dive with significant wave action or current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom