Ami I going too fast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Egg,

Think about this, how prepared are you to deal with every possible situation that could arise outside of the structured environment of a class.

I certainly wouldn't want to be taught by an instructor that had no diving experience outside of the dives required to pass each course.

REAL WORLD experience, in addition to sound instruction, is what makes a solid diver. Real world experience is what make any good instructor an even better instructor.

Those of you thinking of going the instructor route, take your time. Think about why you want to be an instructor. Make sure it is for the right reasons and then take your time getting there. Don't take shortcuts and don't rush things.

WhatI was saying was a mic between the two is important, structured diving and experience go hand in hand.

How ever if you you do not have good technique who is going to teach you that??

When the challenges come in the water all the literature and experience points to training training training.

A classic point is ditching weights. The typical OW course glosses over this. yet it has been found in 70% of fatalities with divers remaining on the bottom in non overhead situations the diver still has his/her weights on. Until you meet the situation you will never have adequately trained for it. However being aware of the fact to achieve positive bouyancy and with training to the point of instinct you will so much better prepared.

And you can sometimes learn more in a structured class than ad hoc experience.
in my last class I accidently descended with the snorkel still in my mouth to 60 feet. My free dive training allowed me not to panic and get my reg in my mouth in time. The divemaster ws too far away to help.What are the lessons?
D'ont un necessarily use a snorkel
Be familiar with equipment
Use a mental instinctive checklist
Practice octo use

Note the Maximus reg is rigged in the unfamiliar under arm position.

Who do I dive with on non training dives? two divers with over 10,000 dives between them. A dive master and a rescue diver. etc.i guess i'm lucky, but they are always pointing out my "errors as a newbie" bouyancy control, how to wrap the enclosed fins inside out on the boat, not to put mask on head etc.

No I'm not boasting just trying to contribute, you are right that its important to know why you want to be an instructor i'm just saying that it is just as important to do it in a structured way.

Back
Top Bottom