An end to my diving career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear your predicament Todd .
Get at least another pro opinion before saying never again ... although I have never tried Kayaking , friends rave about being that close to the water , you may enjoy Kayaking when your friends and family are diving , gets you closer the action .
Good luck and we are glad this did not happen U/W. Lloyd H

WOW!

Everyone, thank you very much for all your kind words, especially from perfect strangers.

I'm sorry that I neglected to mention that I did speak with DAN the day after the incident and they confirmed that a spontaneous pneumothorax is "an absolute contraindication to diving".

I just came back from a meeting with Dr. David Harrison, the Medical Director of the hyperbaric unit at the Vancouver General Hospital. Dr. Harrison simply confirmed what I already knew to be true; that I'll never dive again without dire consequences. I also have a fairly high statistical chance of a repeat pneumothorax, and while that chance does decrease over time, there will likely never be a point in time when I can safely return to diving.

So, as far as I and my family are concerned, that's it. And I'm ok with it (not really, but I have to tell myself that :wink:)

Again, thank you everyone for your kindness and supportive words. It means a lot to me.

Todd.

Todd;
In am so very sorry to hear of your situation.
My condolences to you regarding the loss of the SCUBA activity.

However,
I am an ignoramus on this condition, and I am wondering if you can snorkel?
I am certain that free diving to 30 meters is out of the question, but can you go 10' down with reasonable safety or are you going to need to be a surface dweller.
My son and I snorkel from our kayaks a lot down here, and there are many beautiful places to explore around the world in 5' or less of water.

Chug
Thinks this sucks.

Is this for real! How can this be? Spontaneous pneumothorax sounds almost as surreal as spontaneous combustion. I had to go to wikipedia to check it out. I'm no physician but I find it hard to digest that there is a possibility that your lungs start leaking all off a sudden and for no apparent reason. It's shocking to find out that it happened to someone close.

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Todd. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Soo.. What kind of gear ya got for sale??? :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom