An extremely disappointing Channel Islands weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did a 3 day liveaboard this weekend, expecting better results than my last visit in Feb, but with the exception of maybe 2 sites out of the entire weekend, every spot was decimated by urchins. Some of the sites reminded me of the scenes of dead tropical corals reefs, nothing but bare rock and urchins. No variety of invertebrates, barely a sun star to be found, few crustaceans, and few anemones, the expected carpets of strawberry anemones ended up being anemic clumps here and there, with no other species larger than my hand. The boat captain seemed more interested in accommodating the spear fishers, so kept us on the north side of Santa Cruz the entire weekend, taking us to one barren after another, and there was no way he didnt know the condition of these spots. While there have been a few bright spots, so far going to the Channel Islands has been a bust and not very enticing for more trips without assurances that these crap dive sites will be avoided in the future.

Can I ask what boat you were on? Other than the sea life, how was the temps and the viz?

I have a 3 day trip up there next week, and now know what areas we suggest be avoided. Sorry it was at your expense.

Which op?

We were on the Conception. Temps bounced between 56 and 65. I was able to wear just my lavacore suit under my fusion drysuit and was just fine for every dive. Viz was generally poor, 15ft or less.

Can I ask what boat you were on? Other than the sea life, how was the temps and the viz?

I have a 3 day trip up there next week, and now know what areas we suggest be avoided. Sorry it was at your expense.

They have an outer island day trip on the 4th of July. I went on their outer island trip June 10th and it was awesome. There was so much life at San Miguel. I have some pictures from the trip here: Diving San Miguel 6-10-12 - a set on Flickr. You will definitely enjoy diving San Miguel and Santa Rosa.

I hear ya man. I have to admit that while I really enjoyed my dives with the Peace recently, it also sucked being stuck on a boat with a bunch of spearos and mostly dead diving sites in the same area of Santa Cruz. Not that there is anything wrong with spearfishing but they always get preference. My money is green too. I know now to ask before what the deal is because they don't tell you before. You have to ask.

Santa Cruz island for three days? Captain Graham usually does a good job of catering to varying interests. Did conditions prevent going north and out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom