An extremely disappointing Channel Islands weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite spot on the island is Scorpion Anchorage. My buddy and I enjoy it so much that it has become a yearly pilgrimage for us. We've already booked our 6th annual summer excursion:D
How do you get there, and how long do you stay? If you are dropped off, do you take several tanks?
Thanks

Since I will be up there next week Thurs-Sat on the Vision (a Truth boat), I'll make sure I come back and post a trip report (with photos if I can). I know how disappointing a single day of "oh well" diving can be so multiple days of that can really be unexciting.

Let's hope your trip is nothing short of amazing Mike.

Well hopefully my experience is better than yours Jak Crow. Anyways, you may want to save up and try a warm water trip to the Caribbean or Fiji. Then I doubt you will be disappointed.

I had a pretty nice time at Anacapa last Sunday. (Partly due to an excellent-for-me instabuddy -- similar experience, dive style, pacing, air consumption, fun attitude.) Our first dive (Rat Rock) seemed at first like it would be an urchin + brittle star barren, but it seemed that we stumbled onto a sea hare breeding party. Or something -- at least ten nice big sea hares spread out over the dive, some in pairs or clusters. It was my first time to see them in the wild, and in fact, I'd just seen them for the first time ever at the aquarium the week before. (And to think I thought the one at the aquarium was big...)

Second dive (Canyons), we hit some kelp forest, and I FINALLY found spanish shawls, so I was super happy. Three of them popped up throughout the dive, plus two more new-to-me nudis that I can't name. Giant lobster, clouds of shrimp, good times. I should note that it's important to leave your camera on the boat if you want to spot awesome stuff like spanish shawls :)

Third dive was very frustrating, as a swift current picked up just after they opened the gate. Almost everyone called the dive. We tried descending flying like flags on the line to see if it was calm enough at depth to dive. It was way better, but still enough current that I was uncomfortable with risking not exactly finding the line to ascend, so it was back up the line and onto the boat. Not the way you want your dive to go, but it was a good learning experience.

On the last dive, I made a sea lion friend, though didn't get the sea lion circus I hoped for. I had been to this site (Underwater Arch) over a year ago, and was pleased to see that I a) recognized my sea lion spot from before, and b) could tell we had approached from the opposite direction last time. Other highlights -- more nudis, a very odd looking crab (?), I'll see if any of my photos turned out.

Edit: I keep adding to this, but I forgot -- dolphins on the way out! And the entire surface was covered in salps on our last dive.

Now, can you tell me what these things are? (Please forgive the not great photography, due to surge and lack of skill.)
DSCN2157.jpg DSCN2170.jpg

Last edited:
We also experienced an amazing day of diving off Anacapa Island recently. I also concur with the other statements regarding the notable impact the MPA process has made throughout the Channel Islands. Even on Anacapa, which is now entirely protected under SMR, SMCA or Special Closure, you can tell a remarkable difference between the sites that have benefited from decades of protection and those that have only recently been designated protected status. The longest protected sites are comparably lusher, healthier and have greater abundance of marine life including larger species. The same observations are also true for the protected sites off Santa Cruz and the other islands in the chain.

Here a short video from the aforemtnioned trip to Anacapa. Once again, you can see a differences between various sites...and in some cases, even within the same clip.

[video=vimeo;44332646]https://vimeo.com/44332646[/video]

Since I will be up there next week Thurs-Sat on the Vision (a Truth boat), I'll make sure I come back and post a trip report (with photos if I can). I know how disappointing a single day of "oh well" diving can be so multiple days of that can really be unexciting.

OK - trip report as promised- One day at San Miguel and 2 at Santa Cruz. 3 days of 15 ft green, krill filled viz. They tried like hell to get us clear water but there was none to be found. Still had a great time! We did see a group of breaching humpbacks on the way to SC so that was fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom