An extremely disappointing Channel Islands weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, there was no indication what kind of trip this was going to be and since this was my first live aboard trip, I didn't know what to expect ahead of time.

Wow this is pretty depressing. Whatever the reason is a dead reef is a dead reef.
I always wanted to take a trip to the Channel Islands but I will have to reconsider

Well, at this point, if I go again, I know to avoid Santa Cruz and Anacapa, with the exception of the sea lion colony, at the very least. From what I've seen, San Clemente would be a good trip.

I always expect that the conditions will dictate where we go. Since my dive shop charters the boat, at least I know almost everyone on board but we've had 3 days of 10-15 ft viz, no sun, and limited locations. It's just part of the deal for the northern islands. Now that said, I sure as heck have been involved in the discussions about where we were going and what the options were. Even then it was frustrating. So I can understand and I am sure it is even more frustrating when you feel like you are just along for the ride and have no input or control.

I would still suggest trying again. It can be a spectacular few days of diving.

---------- Post Merged at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Well, at this point, if I go again, I know to avoid Santa Cruz and Anacapa, with the exception of the sea lion colony, at the very least. From what I've seen, San Clemente would be a good trip.

Clemente can also be spectacular if you can get there, as can Santa Barbara Island (there is more there than the rookery). Again condition dictate when you can get there and what sites you can dive once there.

I wouldn't entirely write-off Santa Cruz Island. There is some spectacular diving off the backside from Gull Island (closer to the west end) east to Yellow Banks (east end). Of course you have to be taken there though. You may want to drive the extra 45-1hr south to Ventura and hit up the Peace next time for a multi-day. I've never dove the Truth boats so I don't have an opinion on them either way, but I can say I've never been disappointed with the Peace.

Greg

Thats sucks, I hope my experience there is better. I am headed there for a weekend trip in July.

Don't write off Santa Cruz Island so quickly. My favorite spot on the island is Scorpion Anchorage. My buddy and I enjoy it so much that it has become a yearly pilgrimage for us. We've already booked our 6th annual summer excursion:D There is plenty to explore both topside and below the surface "Scuba & Free-diving, kayaking through sea caves, hiking, exploring the old ruins of cattle ranches and oil derelicts".
Montage of photograph's taken from last years trip:
[video=youtube;y_81T6Jp7g8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_81T6Jp7g8&list=UUHcOWPjU4Rn1tarSy754_jA& index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

Video footage from our '10 &'09 trips:
[video=youtube;lCIehlFJOWo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCIehlFJOWo&list=UUHcOWPjU4Rn1tarSy754_jA& index=9&feature=plcp[/video]
[video=youtube;ZdOuoVNCb4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOuoVNCb4E&list=UUHcOWPjU4Rn1tarSy754_jA& index=10&feature=plcp[/video]

Also, everybody must keep in mind that even if Anacapa's front side were full of kelps, it doesn't mean that the boats can go there. Dive sites are dependent on weather and water conditions. I've had to dive at kelpless sites because of wind and ripping current at the cool sites. Can't do much about Mother Nature.

Again, there was no indication what kind of trip this was going to be and since this was my first live aboard trip, I didn't know what to expect ahead of time.

Since this was your first liveaboard trip, you really have no baseline to compare it with, do you?

I find the northern Channel Islands fascinating, in part because they are so different from my little island further south. There is ample marine life on each of them, in fact TONS of it on the outer islands like San Miguel due to the rich plankton that develops there. Even urchin barrens can be highly educational if one takes the time to look closely.

---------- Post Merged at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:08 AM ----------

I'm a avid Spearo and I couldn't agree with Sam Miller more. I my experience Spearfishermen take a select few legal fish after carefully considering the species and regulations/size limits regarding that species. I have yet to see Spearos In Malibu or Ventura who go out just killing everything, we usually hunt for a specific species when we dive. We also study the fish we hunt and try to learn everything about the species. As for the barren Sea Urchin reefs, why not start taking some home each dive and making Uni. I do and it's fabulous.

I hope you have a better trip next time...maybe try to book a trip to San Clemente Island

As TSandM stated, no one is accusing spearos of causing all the damage. It is just a matter of the fact that spearfishing is not allowed in some of the best sites to dive now as the marine reserves take effect and life returns. Therefore trips with hunters have to go to sites where they can hunt. However, given a mix of divers present, other sites should have been chosen (conditions permitting) as well.

The northern islands are colder and urchin predators like sheephead are not as common there due to water temperature, not simply due to fishing pressure. I can't say for sure what the impact of lobstering (another urchin predator) is on the development of urchin barrens in the northern islands, because I have no data to support any statement.

Since this was your first liveaboard trip, you really have no baseline to compare it with, do you?
I think I can safely say I expected better than the previous charter I took in Feb.

I find the northern Channel Islands fascinating, in part because they are so different from my little island further south. There is ample marine life on each of them, in fact TONS of it on the outer islands like San Miguel due to the rich plankton that develops there. Even urchin barrens can be highly educational if one takes the time to look closely.
Oh sure, they were very educational. I've learned that after the 5th barren that there's no where near the diversity of life found in areas of healthy balance, crustaceans and larger invertebrates are few and far between, and no one seems interested in eating the blue urchins. Oh, they tend to make for lousy photo opportunities and they're generally depressing as hell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom