Anacapa or San Diego?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Different flavors, both very tasty.

I have had better luck with Anacapa dive boats, they seem to be larger and run on a fixed schedule regardless of load. The vis seems to always be good or better. Even if the weather is imperfect the captains has lots of places to anchor out of the current someplace.

The boats out of San Diego, while good, seem to cancel more often and there is more variation in the vis (or lack of). The beauty of the wrecks though is awesome one a good day.

If I had time, I would do all 3, rinse and repeat....

Catalina dive sites as a whole are a lot better than Anacapa in my opinion. Right now, there's hardly any kelp forest at Anacapa.

Does kelp come and go? I assumed they lived a while since they're big. I've been in touch with Raptor Dive Charters and I'm hoping to see kelp forests and, if I'm lucky, sea lions. Think that's a possibility?

You will most likely see kelp forests. You might see sea lions.

Does kelp come and go? I assumed they lived a while since they're big. I've been in touch with Raptor Dive Charters and I'm hoping to see kelp forests and, if I'm lucky, sea lions. Think that's a possibility?

Kelp grows extremely fast, I think sometimes feet per day. It needs something rocky to hold onto and a reasonable depth with enough light. There are both seasonal cycles (due to light and water clarity) and damage by boats, storms and critters that eat kelp (like urchins). I would agree Catalina has more / thicker kelp than Anacapa, but there is plenty in either place.

and, if I'm lucky, sea lions. Think that's a possibility?

Put in a request to dive at the rookery. If the other passengers are willing, it's a really fun dive.

Sweet. I'll be there in 15 more days :bounce:

The sea lion rookery at Anacapa is on the far side of the island, so the boats can only get there if the weather permits.

The last three months I've been out to Anacapa and there was hardly any kelps at all. I asked why not and the boat captains said that there were some nasty storms that washed the kelps off.

Back
Top Bottom